Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

East Yorks Regt

Article about: Hi folks i need help please as this is way out of my area,My father has recently got a photo of his grandfather Francis Holmes (not francis holmes VC) who served during WW1 in the East Yorks

Default East Yorks Regt

Hi folks i need help please as this is way out of my area,My father has recently got a photo of his grandfather Francis Holmes (not francis holmes VC) who served during WW1 in the East Yorks Regt,D.O.B 14-08-1896 (approx) he survived WW1 and my father recalls him telling him how he landed at Le Harve,fought on the somme,,and at sometime he was removed from france and served in dublin during the 1916 uprising,,there was a newspaper clipping which showed him firing over a barricade but this has long been lost (would he have been sent on attatchment to another regt to do this ?) I would really like any info anyone may have on him as much of my family military service history has been lost due to lack of interest by other family members in the past..
    Also there is this poor quality image my dad found somewhere on Line which he remembers seeing as a child of a Lcpl F Brown KIA ,another relative believed to be my grandfathers uncle,sadly i have no other info as with both we cannot find any info
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East Yorks Regt   East Yorks Regt  

Default Re: East Yorks Regt

Hi Allan, here is his medal card index card.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East Yorks Regt  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

These pages may be of interest, they have some details of the East Yorks in WW1.

The East Yorkshire Regiment in 1914-1918

East Yorkshire Regiment Home Page

Good hunting !

Richie

wow what a fast and excellant response ,this is family history that was close to been forgotten,now thanks to you guys a little more has been brought back and saved for future generations....many many thanks

If you want to go further it might be worth joining Ancestry who have a lot of WW1 era military records

Francis Holmes - British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

If you can find out which Battalion was involved you should be able to get a clearer picture of where Holmes saw action.

Regards

Richie

Sadly it does not look like his service records survive. I am an Ancestry member.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sadly it does not look like his service records survive. I am an Ancestry member.

Cheers, Ade.
    Oh well ... worth a try I suppose

?

did he ever speak of his experience in the 1916 irish uprising? if so i would love to here about it

cheers,
    pat

Hi Richie, never leave any stone unturned when it comes to research.

Hi Allan, tried to find some info on L/Clp Brown but could not find anything. Which is unusual on someone KIA.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks again for delving more for me,,Ref L/cpl Brown having nothing available,all i can say is that sounds about right for one of us browns,nothings ever simple...