Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell

Article about: I remember struggling back to the car with this & plonking it down in the garage where it has sat unmoved for too many years. I always thought it was German given the Gothic style letter

Default Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell

I remember struggling back to the car with this & plonking it down in the garage where it has sat unmoved for too many years. I always thought it was German given the Gothic style lettering(Vae victus) on the copper driving/rifling band. Maybe at the time or soon afterwards I looked up the meaning of Vae Victus which is Latin(hence the lettering style)for "woe to the vanquished or conquered" so I then decided it was probably French as it was bought there too. I had to move it today so decided to look at it again starting with the clock movement which is French, there are some stamps on the top UE, crossed canons beneath a flaming bomb & a poorly struck mark which partly reads RADIUM. I then measured it at 60cm in height & 200mm in diameter. Having a quick look there was only one French Gun of that calibre, here is the link- Obusier de 200 "Perou" sur affut-truck TAZ Schneider - Wikipedia
    A 200mm rail mounted Howitzer seized from the Schneider factory when War broke out. I couldn't find any WW2 guns of that calibre so I think is is definitely French
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell   Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell  

Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell   Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell  

Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell   Enormous WW1 French Trench Art Clock made from 200mm Howitzer shell  

Very cool souvenir.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Yes, but I don't think it was made in the Trenches though! The largest shell was apparently 520mm so over 2 1/2 times the size of this one & weighed 3130 lbs. I don't know how much this one weighs but I can just about pick it up & of course there is no explosives or casing. 10 Facts About World War One Artillery | History Hit