Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Finding my lost great grandfather!

Article about: Hi guys, I'm after some help please? My great grandfather was a stretcher bearer in the first war. We have his medals and his medal card info but that's all. I have viewed the microfilm of t

Default Finding my lost great grandfather!

Hi guys,
    I'm after some help please? My great grandfather was a stretcher bearer in the first war. We have his medals and his medal card info but that's all. I have viewed the microfilm of the 'burnt' and unburnt' records ( loaned from the family history centre of the Mormons ) but he wasn't there - so his records must have been with the thousands that were lost in the blitz.

My question is - can any other records be searched to find his movements with the RAMC from when he entered France in July 1915 to when he was discharged? Where would I look? The family history has him in the Somme and he never spoke about his experiences ..... ever! His life and mine crossed for only a year but I got these medals mounted in the 1980's for his son ( my grandfather ) when I stumbled upon them in a tobacco tin..... guess he just wanted to forget the horror?

Below are his trio, his photo and medal card ( surname blanked out by me but I can provide it in a PM if you can help me )

Thanks guys, anything would be more than I can do at the moment!

Cheers, Dan

Oh, the cap badge I added 30 years ago - it was not his....
    Last edited by Danmark; 04-24-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Dan,

Just letting you know that although you've blanked out his name, he can still be found by his number alone so, you might want to blank out his number too.

As for research give me a moment and I'll see if I can turn up some links.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    Dan,

Just letting you know that although you've blanked out his name, he can still be found by his number alone so, you might want to blank out his number too.

As for research give me a moment and I'll see if I can turn up some links.

Tony
    Thanks Tony - fixed it!
    Just trying to be secure on an open forum ( with the recent spate of hackers / spammers )

Cheers, Dan

?

Are you on ancestry? If so here are the RAMC war diaries Create a Free Account

If you aren’t on ancestry a copy of the diary for his unit can be paid for and downloaded here British Army war diaries 1914-1922 | The National Archives however, you must know his unit for the correct diary.

He’s not on the Silver War Badge list but being discharged to class Z that was obvious.

I was hoping his unit would show up on the medal rolls but couldn’t find him on the 14-15 Star roll so there’s probably a typo in his name and the BWM/VM roll just shows him as RAMC so the only hope of finding his movements is probably if you or someone else in the family knows his RAMC unit.

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

As his MIC notes a correction in his name I expect he's down as someone completely different on the 15 Star roll.
    Tony

Thanks mate!

Yes they did spell his name quite wrong on the medal card ( and corrected it in 1921 before the medals were sent )

PM sent with the correct spelling...

Cheers, Dan

Just an update to my quest.

A BIG thank you goes out to member YNOT who has done me a huge favour by checking what I couldn't - the war medal, victory and star rolls. My ggf was listed on them but not his unit so not the final answer i was chasing but a great help anyhow.

It is assistance like this that makes this forum great.

Regards, Dan