Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1

Article about: by hawk3370 Rene, Very nice, I don't know a lot of collectors that are up on the French uniforms. I do know that they are seldom seen. This is a very nice condition tunic and I suspect scarc

?

Hi Chris,
    Shortly after mobilisation, during October 1914, they were (mostly) issued blue cotton over-trousers, so the red trousers were pretty much out of sight for all but the first month of the war.
    Much is made of the high casualties being caused by the visibility of the Garance trousers, though the proximity of the opposing forces - and the concentration of artillery - had far more influence.

That said, they may have been slightly more visible at distance (in some circumstances) than field grey and certainly moreso than the excellent khaki, but for the most part any vast, moving formation was clearly visible.

The same accusation is seldom levelled at the pale, horizon blue, however, though again, artillery and concentrated rifle fire is colourblind.

I quite agree that it is absurd that the bold French Army had to enter a very modern war in a uniform that had barely changed since 1845 - virtually Napoleonic in style!
    Only three months prior to the war, the French Army had finally won its longstanding battle to modernise, when the government (disguising penny pinching with patriotism), eventually conceded to the adoption of a blue-grey ‘tricolour’ cloth!
    Bright, visible uniforms had made sense in the wars prior to smokeless powder, when the whole battlefield became invisible to its commanders on the hill, after the first volleys.
    It is ironic that it was the French who perfected smokeless powder (Poudre Blanche), in 1884.

I’m sure you already know all that, but I’d started and had to see it through!

Cheers,
    Bob
    Last edited by Kohima; 10-22-2018 at 05:11 PM.

It is great you are posting what you have here Bob Thank You, this is the type of stuff we don't see everyday and is refreshing that's for sure!

?

Thanks Rene, that’s great to know.
    I love Poilu uniform, though it’s nowhere near as affordable as it once was... I’m glad I got all the stuff that I did, when it wasn’t such a fight; and I’m very glad to be able to share it with you.

Still more to come here... (I think you’re going to like the next one)!

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Thanks Rene, that’s great to know.
    I love Poilu uniform, though it’s nowhere near as affordable as it once was... I’m glad I got all the stuff that I did, when it wasn’t such a fight; and I’m very glad to be able to share it with you.

Still more to come here... (I think you’re going to like the next one)!
    Hanging out Bob, but of course when you can.

Dear all,

It' a very interesting thread with great objects to see.

Ironically the new uniform colour 'bleu clair' (light blue) as the 'bleu horizon' was called officially was caused by the Germans (too). The new colour 'tricolore' consisted besides of blue and white of a third component: Synthetically produced madder red delivered by Germany as the most important chemical producent. As WW I broke out, the imports ended. The French cloth producers could only use the remaining colours of blue and white and so the famous 'bleu horizon' was born (please see Gilles Bernard and Gérard Lachaux: L'Uniforme du Poilu 1914-18. Gazette des Uniformes, Hors-Série, No. 19, 2005, p. 42, and Francois Vauvillier: Nos Poilus de 1914-1918: L'infanterie. Les Mini-Guides Histoire and Collections, No. 28, 2006, S. 18).
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

Sorry to have taken so long with this, Rene, but I can’t seem to get decent images of this thing! Winter is making its first showings here and the natural lighting is pretty dull... well, certainly for an iPad!
    (I know. I should get the Nikon out really, but just can’t be ar*ed with all the downloading and faffing and stuff).
    Plus, I think the blend of wool colours of the ‘Bleu Clair’ cloth (actually 50% light blue, 35% unbleached & 15% indigo blue), give the fabric a visually ‘fuzzy’ appearance, which constantly looks out of focus!

Anyway, following the chronology from the M1877 Capote, this is my M1914 ‘Poiret’ (3rd type), one of the most scarce and desirable bits of Poilu kit there is, plus a little history on its development...

Type 1
    The very first M1914 type, decreed on 19th September, was produced from an impressively small number of components - a remarkable achievement of design by famous fashion designer, Paul Poiret (who gave his name to these examples), combining minimal labour time with maximum simplicity of cut, to enable rapid manufacture and supply during the emergency period.
    Single-breasted, with a wide fall collar, it was as basic as it could be, with plain cuffs, minimal lining, two beast pockets and a field-dressing pocket inside the front-left skirt.
    (While it is often claimed that the entire body is produced from a single piece of cloth, it should be noted that, in reality, the shoulder seam has actually been carried forward to the nipple-line, thus providing a seam for the simple insertion of the pockets and even one of the buttonholes - Now that is clever)!

Type 2
    On 2nd November, a new insignia patch, intended to be fitted to the left breast, was adopted. To make way for this patch, the left breast pocket was to be omitted from the Capote. However, the instructions surrounding this patch appear to have been vague or confused and some coats were produced with the right pocket omitted, or sometimes both!
    Such examples are now referred to as 2nd type, though no official instruction has been found. Ultimately, this new Insignia patch was never produced and so, the following month, the instruction was rescinded.
    On the 25th November, the term ‘Bleu Horizon’ was officially adopted.

Type 3
    On 9th December 1914, a final, somewhat more refined iteration of the ‘Poiret’ Capote was adopted. It is distinguished by the reintroduction of the second breast pocket and, most obviously, the addition of the ‘martingale’ half-belt, where, previously, only sewn darts had been fitted to take up the excess fabric.
    (The positioning of this belt has something of a ‘slapped-on’, afterthought appearance to it, being sewn directly to the face of the cloth, rather than neatly let into the nearby side seams).
    Furthermore, two large pockets were now fitted into the sides, just below the level of the equipment belt, intended for extra ammunition loads in battle, plus two internal breast pockets, one intended for the soldiers’ ID book.

M1914/15 Modified
    In May 1915, following a further review of the extra ammunition loads to be carried in frontline service (piling yet more weight onto the poor ol’ Poilu), all existing stocks of greatcoats were to be modified, prior to issue, with the addition of two more capacious pockets, of heavy reinforced canvas, to the inside-front skirts. The large, external flaps to these pockets were generally of a different shade to the rest of the coat, producing some interesting variations, while those incorporated to ongoing production were more likely to be of matching cloth.

As a caveat: Anyone considering such a purchase (if you’re lucky enough to find one), should be aware that the broadly similar Mounted Troops versions (for Artillery, Cavalry, &c.), are frequently - though often unknowingly - sold as the far more desirable and, therefore, more expensive Infantry types.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

That is a big wow!!! Bob Thank You for such an in depth description and also the time it has taken you to produce it here Mate!

?

You’re welcome, mate.

Now... what next...?

?

Ok Rene, tying up the development of the Capote, this is my M1915... (plus a little background).

The precise date of adoption of this much improved Capote seems unclear, but appears to be sometime near 28th May 1915. It is the coat that would, by 1917, become the standard and remained in service throughout the next twenty years (many were still in use with rear echelon troops as late as 1940, a few even making their way out through Dunkirk - While production continued into the 1920s, it is likely that the majority were simply reissued from the enormous wartime stocks).
    While the M1914 ‘Poiret’ was clearly born of emergency, the design of which could not be further removed from its immediate predecessor, the M1915 is largely a resurrection of the M1877, in cut and detail, blended with a couple of innovations from the ‘Poiret’, altogether making a far more practical garment.
    The luxurious design, quality of manufacture and sheer quantity of fabric and production time lavished upon it, clearly shows an end to the panic of the early period and a newfound confidence in French industry to meet the demands heaped upon it.

For added warmth and protection against the elements (which had given rise to alarming levels of tuberculosis within the French Army), the double-breasted closure was reinstated, even down to the smarter and more durable, but labour-intensive and very fiddly-to-produce, jetted buttonholes.
    The ‘Martingale’ half-belt was once again a stronger and far tidier affair (when compared to the slapped-on version found on the Type 3 ‘Poiret’), mirroring that of the M1877, even including the purely cosmetic upper buttons.
    The side pockets themselves were omitted, leaving only a tidy covering flap for access to trouser or jacket pockets worn beneath the coat.
    The cuffs also reverted to their pre-emergency style, with a straight cut band and button fastening.

The ‘Poiret’ was only ever intended as a stopgap, rather than a new, long lasting design, but besides the Bleu-Horizon colour, as discussed earlier, two key features were borrowed from it.
    The practical and comfortable large, fall collar (of deeper cut than that of the ‘Poiret’) could be raised in inclement weather and secured using a concealed button tab.
    The heavy, reinforced canvas pockets for additional ammunition loads were retained, although, with the absence of side pockets, were now moved further toward the sides, providing better balance, support, ease of marching and improved comfort while lying prone. The square, double-buttoned flaps were identical to those that had been added to the modified and late production ‘Poiret’ coats.

This particular M1915 example, made in June 1916, bears a few interesting details;
    It has been marked with the soldier’s serial number and initials, though is unusually devoid of a unit identification mark.
    It is also devoid of any theatrical costumier stamps, that are commonly found in many surviving French uniforms. Although an unwelcome addition to a collector, it must be conceded that such post-war use has ensured the survival of many of these garments, albeit having suffered the ravages of the theatre and (especially) the film industry over many decades.
    Of particular interest, the original collar patches (clearly of the large, lozenge style adopted in January 1917, following the shape of those introduced for the Chasseur on 12th November 1915), have been removed, the Battalion indicator disc remains, however, here in blue for 1st Battalion (red and yellow were used for 2nd and 3rd, respectively). This neat system was adopted on 26th July 1916, but its use (like many things in the French Army), was erratic, with most units simply not bothering to fit them! (avec Gallic shrug).

I’m still looking for a good pair of original collar patches to complete this one, if anybody’s got a pair kicking around!

Cheers,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  
    Last edited by Kohima; 11-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Ahh Geeze Bob I do not have the articulation as you have!! Thank You!! Frikken Wonderful to see Mate
    Big Thanks for showing such a superior collection with detailed infomation Mate.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast