Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1

Article about: by hawk3370 Rene, Very nice, I don't know a lot of collectors that are up on the French uniforms. I do know that they are seldom seen. This is a very nice condition tunic and I suspect scarc

?

‘Frikken wonderful’ is articulate enough, mate.
    Thank you so much for your kind words.

It’s a pleasure to show this stuff and share my enthusiasm for it, not to mention the often convoluted history behind it. Many of the driving factors behind French uniform development take some getting your head around, plus it reflects the general state of affairs in France at the time.
    One of the most fascinating and amazing periods for uniform evolution is, of course, the early emergency state, following the remarkable rally at the Marne - where that first, pivotal victory stopped the German Army in its tracks, but cost the French Army some 329,000 men, killed and missing, during August and September 1914 alone.
    For comparison, the U.S. Army lost around 416,800 in the whole of WW2.

I get so irritated by people who mock the French Army (much as they do the Italian Army), when they clearly haven’t read enough history. I’m sorry! I had absolutely no intention of going off on such a ranting tangent! I’m just so passionate about this whole subject - by far the most fascinating army of the Great War, in my opinion, of course.

Back on track; These massive losses, combined with the enormously expanding army and the fact that uniform and equipment stocks were virtually nonexistent before the war even started, necessitated a gargantuan effort to make up the shortfall and give the new intake of soldiers ‘something’ to wear.
    As evidenced by the ‘Poiret’ coats, late-1914 and 1915 was the most amazing period, with uniform items made to existing or simplified patterns out of whatever materials could be found or imported!
    The range of colours alone was fabulous - anything from brown to mauve and everything in between! This is the stuff that commands the higher prices (especially the more bizarre fabrics), though can be tricksy for obvious reasons... I have a pair of M1897 trousers, regulation in every detail, except the brown corduroy.

I’m so glad you are enjoying all this stuff. I’ve more to come, but I’d love to see what anyone else has got. I really am hijacking this whole thread!
    I love your NCO tunic, that kicked it all off, and I’m looking out for suitable insignia for it!

All the very best,
    Bob

Post away Bob Mate I'm loving it all, highly educational! Thank You for looking out for the insignia for the NCO jacket too, let me know of what you find?

Thank you for an excellent thread - please keep going!

There's so much information around about French uniforms but almost all of it tends to be in French. Just look at the Militaria Magazine and its short-running English version....

It's a nice change to hear some detailed history about these French uniforms, in English, from a knowledgeable collector.

Regards, Matthew

?

You are very kind, Matthew. Thank you.

I fully intend to post more here, as and when I can get round to doing it.
    I’m hoping to see some more stuff from other collections too!

All the very best,
    Bob

Anyone up for posting more here?

?

Indeed, René!
    My apologies, but I’ve had a lot going on recently and never seem to get round to posting stuff here.
    Anyway, I have a few Képis to add, so I’ll kick off with this sweetie...

An early Officers’ private purchase model in early Bleu Claire cloth, of the general ‘forme Polo’, and typical of 1915 production.

This style was adopted sometime around 1910 and quickly gained popularity as field wear. The true ‘Polo’ of the time, of low profile with fully stiffened band and crown (versus the taller ‘Manchon’ style), was usually divided by the various colour schemes, of most arms of service, between a deep band and shallow crown (which usually amounted to about a fifth of the overall height).

Being of simplified, all-arms style (and mirroring the Other Ranks’ model of 1914, so as not to stand out as an officer), the wartime Polo often retained a cosmetic division, suggested by a seam or band of rank braid, although many officers chose to simplify its construction to a single piece, as here).

This particular example is unusual in its matching and fully functional, cloth chinstrap and the continuation of fabric to the underside of the peak - the latter, an extremely rare feature.
    Of further interest are the mismatched buttons; the left side bearing an Infantry type, while the right bears that of the Engineers, with Cuirasse. Although the exact reason for such a mismatch (or, indeed, the date), can never be known, this is a fairly commonly encountered detail on period Képis - perhaps suggesting dual affiliation or transfer, or simply a matter of availability.

It’s one of my favourites (despite the nibbles to the peak!).
    I hope you like it too.
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

Outstanding Bob! a ripper Mate.

?

Great piece.

That's a great looking Kepi, Bob. I've never seen one quite like it before. Let's see some more!

I don't have many WW1 French items myself, so I hope no-one minds if I contribute something not clothing related. Here is a Bb clarion bugle, with its original mouthpiece, tassels and a strip of uniform cloth stitched around the bell. This addition was usually in leather, to improve the grip of the player around the bell and to protect the finish on the metal, so this example is very unusual with its horizon blue cloth in such good condition.

The bugle itself is a typical French design and from the well known maker Couesnon & Co. These clarion bugles have a more open wrap and elongated design than the standard British, German or US models. The pitch, however, is the same in concert Bb.

As a former professional musician I can say that the instrument still plays very nicely. It did need a good rinse, though, to remove decades of dust, cobwebs and bacteria from the inside. I don't ever clean or polish the WW1 bugles I own - I prefer them to look their true age.

I bought this in Germany a while ago. A part of me would like to believe that this bugle was brought home by a German soldier, although I have absolutely no proof of this!

Matthew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1   French Horizon Blue Tunic WW1  

?

Wow, what a splendid piece, Matthew!
    The addition of the horizon blue cloth is a wonderful and evocative detail. I should imagine the cloth would provide a warmer and surer grip than leather... If I owned a bugle, that’s the one I’d want!

I like to believe it was a souvenir of a German Landser, too. Why not?
    There are plenty of German souvenirs found amid the keepsakes of Allied veterans. It stands to reason that plenty of Allied kit found its way back to the fatherland... though, as you say, no way of proving it.

Thank you for posting it!
    All the best,
    Bob

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast