MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Glengarry WW1?

Article about: Hi everyone, I just bought a Seaforth Highlanders Glengarry. It was sold as a possible 'Boerwar' example from 1892. but I believe they had a leather sweatband. So my question is: Is this a W

Default Glengarry WW1?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Seaforth Highlanders Glengarry. It was sold as a possible 'Boerwar' example from 1892. but I believe they had a leather sweatband. So my question is: Is this a WW1 example or later. Is the cap badge composed from two different badge?

What do the markings mean? Is 3802 a personal number from a private? This because I found a Private E.G. Spence from the Seaforth Highlanders who, unfortunate died, on the 7th of November 1916 at the Somme.

Is it even British or military?

I hope that someone could help me out. I have to re-attach the original ribbons on the back so I'll post that later on.

Thanks and cheers Paul

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

Glengarry WW1?

No one???

I personally find glengarry caps a minefield, it has some features I like, but not sure on the edge band. They changed from leather to ribbed satin in 1915, different for officers.

Therefore I think it is 1915 at the earliest
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The numbers are usually there army number, sometimes they just use some of them, with common surnames you might get the last 2 or 3 digits, such as seen in Zulu, Jones 23 etc
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for your input. I'm more convinced now that the Glengarry is indeed WW1 and that the original owner was killed in the later fase of the Somme offensive.
    3802 a army number corresponding with Private E.G. Spence from the Seaforth Highlanders who, unfortunate died, on the 7th of November 1916 at the Somme. It's the only army number known in the archives of the Seaforth Highlanders.

Cheers Paul