Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Great War/WWII Family Medal Group

Article about: Hello folks. I've never collected WWI specifically, but have always had a soft spot for medals, particularly medal groups. This is one I couldn't turn down. This large grouping contains the

Default Great War/WWII Family Medal Group

Hello folks.

I've never collected WWI specifically, but have always had a soft spot for medals, particularly medal groups. This is one I couldn't turn down.

This large grouping contains the Great War medals of brothers George Louis Hunter, and Charles V. Hunter, and the Second World War medals of George Louis Hunter (named after his uncle).

George Louis Hunter was the son of John George and Angelina Hunter, and a resident of Newcastle. He began his military career in the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards. He was subsequently moved to the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI) and then to the 3rd London Regiment. George died in 1918, although there appear to be some differences in official records as to when precisely this happened. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records his death as having taken place between the 8th - 11th August, 1918, whereas his Ancestry page records his death date as 8th November 1918.

His brother, Charles V. Hunter, served in the Royal Field Artillery. He survived the war, being awarded the British War and Victory medals. He went on to have a son, whom he named in honour of his deceased brother. George Louis Hunter, thus named, served in the Second World War, in the Royal Navy. He saw action in the North African theatre, and presumably the Italian Theatre as well, though his Italy Star is missing. (The award slip within the box lists him as being entitled to 5 campaign medals, but only four are present in this grouping. I cannot say for certain that he was entitled to the Italy Star, but it would fit with his other awards).

As well as the medals of the three family members, this grouping also contains a memorial plaque (known amongst soldiers as the 'Death Penny') named to George Louis Hunter; two military bibles, which bear his Coldstream Guards service number, name and rank; a commemorative card honouring his enlistment into the former; a small portrait photograph (sadly quite faded); a small clasp knife with a Newcastle maker's mark on the blade; a pouch for the knife, and a dog tag belonging to George Louis Hunter, who served in WWII, complete with its neck chain.

Medals and ephemera belonging to George Louis Hunter (WWI):

Great War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal Group

Medals awarded to Charles V. Hunter:

Great War/WWII Family Medal GroupGreat War/WWII Family Medal Group

WWII medals and box, belonging to George Louis Hunter (WWII), and his dog tag:

Copies of official documentation:

Regards, B.B.

Wow BB! That is a very nice grouping and history. Rare to find them now days. Thanks for showing. I can see why you could not turn down.
    John

Very nice group
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks, guys. It's the portrait photo that sold it for me. Even if it is a little faded, it's not often that you get a face to go with a name.

Now I just need to figure out a way to store/display it properly.

B.B.

?

It could be worth while getting that photo scanned and digitally enhanced. Then you could display it without fear of damage from UV. Great collection!

Quote by Ubique View Post
    It could be worth while getting that photo scanned and digitally enhanced. Then you could display it without fear of damage from UV. Great collection!
    Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll look into digital restoration. Until then, the grouping has been tucked away in a cardboard box, safe from any sunlight damage.

B.B.

A very interesting grouping Brodie... both men would have been conscripts with them only having the 'Mutt and Jeff' awards. George Hunter would have been involved in the fighting at Chipilly Ridge during the battle of Amiens in August 1918, where it is highly likely that he lost his life. If you go on to the National Archives website you can download the battalion and brigade war diaries for a nominal fee of about £3.20 per diary. But I must warn you that reading through the diaries is highly addictive!

The attached picture is of the battalion first aid post at Chipilly Ridge.

Cheers,
    Steve

This is really impressive B.B, not often these groupings come up, I don't think I've seen one with multiple relatives and generations together, even when the families still have them as they're usually spread out. You'll have to show me the militaria tree you keep shaking these great items off

Quote by HetzersGonnaHetz View Post
    This is really impressive B.B, not often these groupings come up, I don't think I've seen one with multiple relatives and generations together, even when the families still have them as they're usually spread out. You'll have to show me the militaria tree you keep shaking these great items off
    This was an eBay pickup! There's a lot of perfectly good militaria on there, as long as you're willing to wade through all the crap.

B.B.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A very interesting grouping Brodie... both men would have been conscripts with them only having the 'Mutt and Jeff' awards. George Hunter would have been involved in the fighting at Chipilly Ridge during the battle of Amiens in August 1918, where it is highly likely that he lost his life. If you go on to the National Archives website you can download the battalion and brigade war diaries for a nominal fee of about £3.20 per diary. But I must warn you that reading through the diaries is highly addictive!

The attached picture is of the battalion first aid post at Chipilly Ridge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Somehow I managed to miss this yesterday. Apologies, Steve, and thank you for the information. I’ll have a look into those diaries.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast