Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Grenadier Guards Medals Grouping

Article about: At first glance, nothing exceptional here; a British War Medal & Victory Medal pair to 28707 Pte. William Evans, 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards, along with his Memorial Plaque. Pte. Evan

?

Default Grenadier Guards Medals Grouping

At first glance, nothing exceptional here; a British War Medal & Victory Medal pair to 28707 Pte. William Evans, 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards, along with his Memorial Plaque.
    Pte. Evans was KIA on 1 December, 1917, during the battalion's attack on the village of Gonnelieu, near Cambrai, France, aged 27.
    This was also a " VC action", as Capt. G.H. T. Paton of the 4th Grenadiers was awarded a posthumous VC for his actions that same day.
    What really led me to bid on this pair of medals was the research included, which, when it arrived in the mail, was more than I expected. Dix Noonan Webb put together a very nice folder , with much valuable information, along with photos of Pte. Evans.
    Not to sound melodramatic, but there seems to be a haunting look on Evans' face in his photo, as if he actually is contemplating his sad fate.
    The four battalions of the Grenadier Guards, according to "The Grenadier Guards in the Great War of 1914-1919", had casualties of 203 officers killed, 242 wounded, and other ranks of 4,508 killed and 6,939 wounded.
    To me, this group is what medal collecting is all about; we should never forget these men's sacrifice.

BobSGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals Grouping

?

More photos:Grenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals Grouping

?

Last photos:Grenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals GroupingGrenadier Guards Medals Grouping

I agree, I hope future collectors can appreciate the history behind such items.