MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed to identify regiment ...

Article about: Hi all, can any eagle-eyed experts out there identify the regiment of this scottish soldier? ... Quite tricky but any info appreciated.

Default Help needed to identify regiment ...

Hi all,
    can any eagle-eyed experts out there identify the regiment of this scottish soldier? ... Quite tricky but any info appreciated.

Three possible contenders for you, although impossible to give a definite answer. Royal Scots, Scots Guards, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. I base this on the outline of the cap badge, and at a push I would plump for A&SH.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks Steve, I think that's a pretty good answer, I had the Scots Guards down as a contender myself. Appreciate your input.

I can see the reasoning behind the cap badge shape theory but the outline of the A&SH badge is more "teardrop" shaped whilst this one has a slightly "cornered" appearance. It doesn't help that this appears to be a piper and so he has a black glengarry (as do most pipers) rather than a diced type which even in monochrome can make an obvious difference with A&SH but in any case the sporran is wrong for A&SH. My money is on The London Scottish circa WWI or earlier.

Scots regiments can be a pain to ID especially in monochrome and the earlier the period the harder it gets!

Regards

Mark

A&SH

London Scottish

Royal Scots piper (Much smaller than the A&SH or London Scottish, different outline to Scots Guards piper)

Scots Guards piper
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes, looking closely at what can be made out of the badge it does appear to have some pointy bits rather like the saltire crosses represented in sundry regimental badges. Thanks for your observations.