Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

An interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmet

Article about: This is a first model M15 French Adrian helmet that I recently added to my Great War Collection. Badged for the Artillery, this example carries the brass plaque Soldat de la Grande Guerre (S

A great helmet indeed, Andy. I particularly love those with newspaper still inside (I had one in this case, sold it to a friend of mine years ago). The corrugated aluminium spacers were there to create intermediate sizes (they existed in different thicknesses), but they made the helmet quite uncomfortable to wear ; that's the reason why newspaper was sometimes used.

"No idea where or how this one managed to escape being messed with over the last 107 years, however it certainly conjures up images of a dark corner in an old barn somewhere in France."
    I'll add some precisions here : as it was said, the goverment decided to offer a helmet to each and every WWI vet (soldier or officer), or to the family who asked for it if the soldier did not return. The one and only criteria was that the man had to be part of the french military at one point between 1914 and 1918 ; no condition of duration was required and having seen "active combat" was not mandatory.
    I any case, these "souvenir helmets" (they were called this way) were most of the time respected artifacts, witnesses of the somewhat courageous and glorious past of a family member and / or the tangible memory of a terrible and violent unprecedented ordeal. That's why most - if not all - of them were not messed with and did not end "in a corner of an old barn".

Great helmet with a lot of atmosphere.

The madder red (French 'garance') liner band made of fabric is often connected with the first production lines of the Adrian (for reference see Gazette des Uniformes. Hors-serié no 19, 2005, S. 29). The liner band was made from fabric of the madder red uniform trousers which had become obsolete because of its high visibility in the course of 1914/15.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

A very nice helmet Andy. I don't have one with newspaper inside, but my 1st pattern 'Japy' helmet has a thick blade of grass embedded inside the comb, and my officers helmet is actually named on the plaque. He was an officer in the 48th Artillery regiment and I have a set of medals to Corporal Felix Bodin who served in the same regiment.

Cheers,
    Steve

What a fantastic Adrian Steve!! You don’t often see so many with the plaque actually engraved so that is a real bonus on your example. Horizon blue and with a very nice strap - you really couldn’t upgrade that one.

Thanks for posting it.

Andy

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    Great helmet with a lot of atmosphere.

The madder red (French 'garance') liner band made of fabric is often connected with the first production lines of the Adrian (for reference see Gazette des Uniformes. Hors-serié no 19, 2005, S. 29). The liner band was made from fabric of the madder red uniform trousers which had become obsolete because of its high visibility in the course of 1914/15.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Thanks very much for the information Alter. Very interesting and informative.

A real beauty. Used to be a memorandum in the household of a proud veteran. Probably in the family for generations. A essential addition for any 'Grand Guerre' collection.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to get a named infantry one. Not with the first pattern liner but with the second. They do look smart.

Cheers Paul

I just discovered there is writing on the inside of the front rim. Can't make it out. It's to far gone i'm afraid.

Thats amazing! Nice find

Another great example Paul! Always good to helmets out into the daylight and have a gentle look inside. I’ve discovered so much by doing this. Had one helmet for years and never knew it was named on the steel liner band! Have seen names pencilled on the front of one of my M16’s that I’d never seen either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2