Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmet

Article about: This is a first model M15 French Adrian helmet that I recently added to my Great War Collection. Badged for the Artillery, this example carries the brass plaque Soldat de la Grande Guerre (S

Default An interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmet

This is a first model M15 French Adrian helmet that I recently added to my Great War Collection. Badged for the Artillery, this example carries the brass plaque Soldat de la Grande Guerre (Solider of the Great War) as awarded to soldiers who saw active combat and was sometimes inscribed by the soldier with their name and worn at commemoration ceremonies and parades.

The beauty of this one is how untouched it is. The light horizon blue paint has worn over the years but still retains much coverage of the shell. Inside is the original chinstrap and first pattern leather liner that has been lined with red wool offcuts from M1897 trousers. Even more interesting, under the liner is old French newspaper from 1916 which has been used to keep out the cold, and on inspection bears news of Verdun!

No idea where or how this one managed to escape being messed with over the last 107 years, however it certainly conjures up images of a dark corner in an old barn somewhere in France.

Andy
    An interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmetAn interesting M15 Adrian Artillery helmet
    Last edited by AndyM35; 10-23-2022 at 08:03 AM.

A beautiful sleeper out of the old woodwork Andy. I'm loving the look of this fine old casque.

Amazingly untouched! The newspaper! How cool...

I've not seen them with this brass plaque before. Nice little touch.
    nick

?

Difficult to improve on that one.

Very nice helmet.
    The brasse plaque is for veteran and was created on december 18th 1918.
    Therefore very few of them were mounted on the helmet and even fewer got the name and rank of the soldier engraved on it

Bruno

Great addition Andy and the original horizon blue helmets are hard to come by these days, I could never really understand why some were given the midnight blue repaint and some were left in the bright horizon blue.

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    Great addition Andy and the original horizon blue helmets are hard to come by these days, I could never really understand why some were given the midnight blue repaint and some were left in the bright horizon blue.
    Thanks Kyle!

I believe that the darker shade of paint was to take away the shine from the original lighter horizon blue which was quite glossy and reflective. However, due to a lack the new darker paint in some quarters, the original light horizon blue helmets can still be found. Originally my example would have had a glossy finish but as can be seen it has faded over time. There was a fabric helmet cover used for a period however the use of these stopped when it was discovered that the dirty unhygienic material was being pushed into wounds along in the event of a shrapnel strike.

Andy

What a beautiful helmet! Vive la France!

Nice helmet ! The paper : the blue of Verdun, blue is the color of the French uniform....
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Great helmet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast