Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting photos - any idea of date?

Article about: These were amongst some photos inherited. My interest is in WW2 so these are a little outside my area of expertise. I’m thinking that they’re mainly pre WW1 and possibly India, and maybe

Default Interesting photos - any idea of date?

These were amongst some photos inherited. My interest is in WW2 so these are a little outside my area of expertise. I’m thinking that they’re mainly pre WW1 and possibly India, and maybe a couple from the inter-war period.

Has anyone got any observations on who they are, what the motorcycle is, etc?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting photos - any idea of date?   Interesting photos - any idea of date?  

Interesting photos - any idea of date?   Interesting photos - any idea of date?  

Interesting photos - any idea of date?  

And I’m not sure who this is, but I know that if you met him around the corner he could sell you half a pound of sausage meat, six eggs and some silk tights! That is one great moustache.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting photos - any idea of date?  

It looks like a 4hp Douglas motorcycle.

During World War I Douglas was a major motorcycle supplier, making around 70,000 motorcycles for military use. In a 1916 review of flat-twin engines in Motor Cycle magazine two models of Douglas engine are listed. The 2.75 hp (350cc) with 60.5mm bore and 60mm stroke, with the valves placed side-by-side on the side of the engine. The other engine was the 4 hp (544cc) flat twin of 72mm bore and 68mm stroke. One of the significant differences with this larger engine was the oil was carried in the sump and supplied by pump to bearings and cylinders. The sump had a glass window to inspect the oil level. The valves were placed side by side above the cylinders. A third engine was the Williamson Flat Twin made by Douglas with cyclecars in mind but produced for the Williamson Motor Company to use in their motor cycles since 1912. This was an 8 hp engine of 964cc, 85mm bore and 85mm stroke. Initially water cooled, from 1913 it was also available air-cooled. (Wikipedia)

So it's in my opinion WW1 in a setting that looks like Mesopotamia. Now known for a large part as Iraq.

Cheers Paul