Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Just got my grandads personals and need a medal/medallion identified

Article about: It is sitting on top of the WW1 victory medal (ribbon shows in photo) this one has no ribbon and is not on any medal list I am searching. Can anyone help me with this? He was U.S. Cavalry if

ericb
    ?

Default Just got my grandads personals and need a medal/medallion identified

It is sitting on top of the WW1 victory medal (ribbon shows in photo) this one has no ribbon and is not on any medal list I am searching. Can anyone help me with this?

He was U.S. Cavalry if that helps. Background from my dad, who is now a full blown Alzheimer sufferer and cannot answer any more questions was this:

He was assigned to the the 6th during ww1 from Dec 1917 to may 1918. Was stationed at a rearward area at one of the castles in France and worked as a farrier. Saw no direct action But was victim of mustard gas attack. Died in Tucson in 81.

I have his cavalry photos. I also have his sabre. He had a field commission to LT. they are black and white so I assume 2d but who knows. All records were apparently destroyed in 73 in St. Louis according to the Army.

Any help identifying this would be great!

Default Re: Just got my grandads personals and need a medal/medallion identified

It appears to be either a city- or state-issued WWI Victory Medal. Many cities and states issued such medals to their veterans. This is an example of a city issued medal. Dwight