Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Light Horse Memorabilia

Article about: Photos of my Great Uncle's medals and a few things he brought back from the Middle East in WW1 where he served in the 5th. Regiment, 2nd. Light Horse Brigade, A.I.F.. Victory Medal and Briti

Default Light Horse Memorabilia

Photos of my Great Uncle's medals and a few things he brought back from the Middle East in WW1 where he served in the 5th. Regiment, 2nd. Light Horse Brigade, A.I.F..

Victory Medal and British War Medal (wrong side) plus an Ottoman Medal he souvenired somewhere.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Pay books.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Service patch and autograph book.
    I think these books might have been given to the troops before leaving Australia.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Negatives from a photographic store in Cairo.
    He had a few packets of these, but mainly brought back developed photos without negatives.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Kit bag.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Light Horse Memorabilia

That seems to be about all he kept, apart from some Egyptian coins and banknotes, and his photo collection.

Cheers, Willie.

Great stuff mate!

Very nice Willie, very nice indeed.
    Love the Ottoman War Medal. Also called the Gallipoli Star. The higher quality builds of these were German made and are very nice awards.
    Congrats mate

All the best
    Dave R

Can we see some of the photos please?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Can we see some of the photos please?
    Some of them were posted a while back in this thread:

Light Horse photographs

There's a bit over 400 of them all up in his collection. Some are Official British War Photographs that he most likely bought over there. Others might have been taken by a regimental photographer, and I'd estimate probably about a third of them were taken by my Great Uncle. He had a life long interest in photography.

One part of his collection is a souvenir photo album of around 80 photos that troops sent back home to their families, called 'Souvenir of Sinai and Palestine'. It's a collection of photographs taken by Trooper J. Ellis, 7th. Light Horse. The photos are quite small but scan ok, and look better in digital form.

Here's the cover of the album and a few photos. I'd imagine this album would be fairly common.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Anzac well at Bielah.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Armenian refugee children.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Attending Turkish wounded at Romani.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Turkish Colonel captured at Romani.

Light Horse Memorabilia

Turkish prisoners.

Light Horse Memorabilia

I can post a few more but possibly the other thread might the better place for them.

Cheers, Willie.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Very nice Willie, very nice indeed.
    Love the Ottoman War Medal. Also called the Gallipoli Star. The higher quality builds of these were German made and are very nice awards.
    Congrats mate

All the best
    Dave R
    Dave, this one is a B.B. & Co. version.

Cheers, Willie.

?

Nice one Willie . I have some pics i will have to get out from my Grandfather who served with The 9th, 10th and 13th Light Horse .

Greg

glad he got back home.

Quote by Studly View Post
    Nice one Willie . I have some pics i will have to get out from my Grandfather who served with The 9th, 10th and 13th Light Horse .

Greg
    It would be interesting to see them, Greg. Sounds like your grandfather got around a bit.

Cheers, Willie.

?

He Originally Joined the 9th which was formed in South Australia He operated the Vickers and Lewis Machine guns and always had a horse in tow to carry the Bi pod and water cooling cans and ammo ,and transfered after being wounded.

Greg