Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

LSGC Medals to Navy, Army & RAF (WW2 Service Included)

Article about: Hi all Just wanted to show the forum a new display I recently finished. I confirmed with Ade this would be best placed here since 2 of my recipients saw service in the First World War. My ai

Default LSGC Medals to Navy, Army & RAF (WW2 Service Included)

Hi all

Just wanted to show the forum a new display I recently finished. I confirmed with Ade this would be best placed here since 2 of my recipients saw service in the First World War. My aim was to have one for each the Navy, Army and Air Force, and I ended up with medals spanning from the first into the second world war. Two of which the LSGC medals were awarded inter-war (Navy & Army).

For my Royal Marine recipient Hector Henry Cook (Service No 214813), I have been able to obtain his Navy service record page, showing his enlistment in 1915, deployment as a RMA Gunner during the first world war (Service No 14813 on the BWM/VM pair) and then shows his interwar service on ships, award of his LSGC medal in 1931. It then looks as if he rejoined just before the second world war in 1938 and served with the ports division until the record I have access to ended in December 1943. Impressive service spanning both world wars!

My Army chap, Pte Stanley Blackwell seems like another interesting one. I don't have his WW1 medals unfortunately but his MIC confirms his entitlement to a BWM and VM pair. He looks to have served under 4 different service numbers. Chronologically they are:
    - Royal Army Medical Corps - 3671
    - Royal Army Medical Corps - 497501
    - Royal Artillery - 275581
    - Royal Army Ordnance Corps (initially under the control of RA I believe?) - 1021183
    I know he wounded twice during WW1 in November 1917 and April 1918 (according to Forces War Records) and he was awarded his LSGC in 1934 but beyond that know nothing of his seemingly very varied service.

Last but not least if my RAF man, Sgt Bert Latus (Service No. 351825) Now I know next to nothing about him unfortunately. I am still waiting on an official records request (requested back in August last year).

Let me know what you think, and if you happen to have anything to add then fire away!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LSGC Medals to Navy, Army & RAF (WW2 Service Included)  

Service Record for Hector Henry Cook, Royal Marines:

MIC and Pension Card for Stanley Blackwell, R.A.O.C.: