Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M15 Adrian

Article about: Hi there - I am new to the Forum having found it while researching some helmets I bought at an auction a couple of weeks ago. I went to the auction for something else entirely, so didn't exp

Default M15 Adrian

Hi there - I am new to the Forum having found it while researching some helmets I bought at an auction a couple of weeks ago. I went to the auction for something else entirely, so didn't expect to come away with the helmets - they just were not attracting much in the way of bids and I thought they looked interesting. This morning I got some brilliant insight from Western Allies section of the Forum for the first (an IDF para helmet), and they suggested I post the second - what was advertised as a French M15 Adrian Helmet - here to confirm whether this description is correct, and to perhaps get further background. My own amateur research seems to indicate that this looks about right, but I would welcome more expert eyes. Apologies for the quality of pics - taken on my phone in my kitchen. The close-up is of a pretty illegible signature that has been scratched into the metal - think it says 'Jabour' but it is pretty hard to read.

M15 AdrianM15 Adrian
    M15 AdrianM15 Adrian
    M15 Adrian

I should also confess that i got sucked in at the auction and bought another helmet-related lot - it was described as a hessian cover for a WWI helmet. While I have no reason to doubt that this description may be correct, you will see from the pics it is unlikely that I would be able to be in any wat definitive, and that it is not just the product of someone's imagination and a potato sack -fortunately i didn't pay a huge amount for it. Again - would welcome any views on this. I'm pretty sure it has no links to the Adrian.

M15 AdrianM15 Adrian
    M15 AdrianM15 Adrian

Nice 15 helmet.

A good honest M15 Adrian! Painted in the later war dark blue paint, with the original 'horizon blue' shade visible on the badge.

One word of advice. Don't leave the chinstrap folded over the brim like that for long periods of time. It causes stress to the leather, and eventually it'll snap.

B.B.

Thank you - and I have released the chinstrap - you were right that the leather was fairly stiff. Should i do anything with it to revitalise it, or is it best to leave it now that it is not folded over?

Looks like a nice Adrian! Thanks for showing it!

As far as the helmet cover, that is not in my wheelhouse, but I know various groups over time have used burlap sacks/sandbags as helmet covers...so it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'd make a separate post for it in the Western Allies Helmet section just to see what some of them say. I think members tinlid and Mark K have Hessian helmet covers in their collection, so you might ask them what they think if they don't chime in. Here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/helmets/

Eventually, post your M1 on the other section. Those guys helped me out a lot not too long ago with a Vietnam M1C to help identify it and find the correct liner for it to complete it. They're really nice guys. There's a sub-forum for M1s in the Western Allies section here, like Rene showed: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1...-helmet-forum/

There should be a number inside the steel pot, so take a picture of that for them, and then in the inside crown of the liner you should find a maker's mark, too. If you want to do a little research based on their reference posts, you can go to these two threads:
    Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell
    Rough guide to the US M-1 liner & makers

-Robyn

I agree that its best NOT to have it stretched like that - but based on the number you see, it was more common than not - a French laid back, 'laissez faire' attitude perhaps?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Journeyman11 View Post
    Thank you - and I have released the chinstrap - you were right that the leather was fairly stiff. Should i do anything with it to revitalise it, or is it best to leave it now that it is not folded over?

The chinstrap on my own Adrian helmet is in a similar condition. Attempting to improve the condition of 100 year-old leather is never going to have a positive result. Leave it as it is, keep it away from intense heat and direct sunlight, and it won't degrade further.

B.B.

?

Nice M15

The hessian cover is almost impossible to say, gut feeling is that it is unlikely WWI. If it had been on a helmet for any period of time it would retain some indication of wear, an Adrian or a MkI British helmet would it would be pretty clear because of the difference in shape and they both have sharp angles rim.

Looking at what you bought at the same auction, don't undo the knot and try it on the HSAT, I have a feeling that's where it belongs.

Steve,

?

Very Nice Blue M15

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

That's a nice looking example. Not easy to find over this side of the pond.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)