Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M17 u.s. Ww1 lid

Article about: Hi Guys, this isn't my normal field of collecting as some of you know, but I always liked the shape of these lids and always wanted one since I was a kid. So I found this one for what I thou

Default M17 u.s. Ww1 lid

Hi Guys, this isn't my normal field of collecting as some of you know, but I always liked the shape of these lids and always wanted one since I was a kid. So I found this one for what I thought was a good price ( I looked around),now I don't know anything about these, I don't know if there is a lot number data base, so I'm hoping you guys can please give me as much info as possible on this lid. There is no writing or stamps anywhere that I can see except the stamps on the rim. Thank you.M17 u.s. Ww1 lidM17 u.s. Ww1 lidM17 u.s. Ww1 lidM17 u.s. Ww1 lid
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

?

Nice example Bill. Like all other helmets, they can become addictive.

Some info here....

Helmet M-1917

M-1917 Helmet - American Militaria Reference

Regards,
    John

Thank you John,I know about the bug, I've been bitten several times

Greetings, I turned the liner inside out and took these photos, thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17 u.s. Ww1 lid   M17 u.s. Ww1 lid  

A January 1918 liner date makes sense for the shell, as there is correspondence between the Ordnance Department and Ford regarding the YJ helmets with the painted 'N' inside the dome from the same month.

MAP
    ?

Nice example Bill. Nice to have them with complete liner and straps.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by aef1917 View Post
    A January 1918 liner date makes sense for the shell, as there is correspondence between the Ordnance Department and Ford regarding the YJ helmets with the painted 'N' inside the dome from the same month.
    Thank you aef, do you have any idea what the N means?

I don't have any information on why it's an N, just that Ford was ordered to put the marking on certain lots of helmets that had failed initial ballistic tests. Subsequent tests showed better results, and the helmets were approved for issue.

Some helmets from the same manufacturer and lot range are similarly marked with a P, so it may be Pass/No Pass.

Nice honest lid.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td