Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The medals of Corporal Felix Bodin

Article about: A recent acquisition of mine was a set of medals to Verdun veteran 'Brigadier' Felix Bodin of 28eme Regiment, Field Artillery. The rank of 'Brigadier' in the French army is the equivalent of

Default The medals of Corporal Felix Bodin

A recent acquisition of mine was a set of medals to Verdun veteran 'Brigadier' Felix Bodin of 28eme Regiment, Field Artillery. The rank of 'Brigadier' in the French army is the equivalent of 'Corporal', and is held by someone who is a detachment leader in a Cavalry or Field-Artillery unit. Felix Bodin enlisted in December 1914 and joined his regiment in the field in June 1915. between June 10th and December 28th 1916, the regiment were in constant action during the battle of Verdun.

The medals of Corporal Felix Bodin The medals of Corporal Felix Bodin
    The medals of Felix Bodin and the man himself.

In a citation awarded to the commander of 4th battery, Captain Morel on 19th July 1916, it stated the following... 'Always on the breast since the beginning of the campaign has constantly performed its missions in the most complete way, despite the precise and violent bombardments to which it has frequently been subjected. Showed, particularly on the day of June 8th 1916, a quite admirable contempt for danger, by continuing the firing which had been prescribed to him, although three of his pieces were destroyed by enemy fire.'

Felix Bodin was also awarded his own citation for his actions on July 10th 1916, in which he was described as... 'Bomber of the first hour, very energetic and brave.' It goes on to describe how he made possible the construction of trench mortar sites while under a heavy bombardment from enemy artillery.

The medals of Corporal Felix BodinThe medals of Corporal Felix Bodin

On December 23rd, he received another citation for his actions on December 1st... 'Model of bravery and devotion while under attack on December 1st 1916, showed great courage in assuring the service of his mortars while under accurate fire from large calibre artillery.' It was shortly after this action that he was awarded the Croix de Guerre.

Area of operations of 28th Regiment.

In 1917 the regiment saw action in the Reims sector, and on April 10th Felix was badly wounded during an exchange of fire along a fortified stretch of the Aisne-Marne canal known as: 'The Cavaliers of Courcy.' In October 1917 he joined to 35eme regiment, but it appears that his front-line service had come to an end. In March 1940, Felix received the Medaille Militaire for his two acts of gallantry in 1916.

The Cavaliers of Courcy.

A very nice find that Steve!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A very nice find that Steve!...
    It certainly was Gunny! I've spent the past two weeks researching him, and his story is quite amazing. He was a very brave man.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Great piece of research !

In December, it was the end of this battle with heay artillery.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

CBH
    ?

Very nicely researched and presented , you truly brought this mans story back to life . Well done .

?

Superb. Its unfortunately rare to see French personal histories explained in English.

Oz.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Superb. Its unfortunately rare to see French personal histories explained in English.

Oz.
    All I did was to access the regimental history, look up the dates that I required, and then using 'Google' translator I turned the text into English. It is time-consuming, but well worth the reward! Yesterday I picked up a five medal set with certificate to a soldier... 'Mort pour la France.' Someone else to research!

Cheers,
    Steve.

Mort pour la France, perhaps his name is on the monument of his city
    Monument aux morts, Bures-sur-Yvette

On this site all the monuments of France, if you need help...
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Here is the death notice. he is listed as serving with 62eme Infantry regiment, but on the certificate with the medals it says 317eme. I will post the medals in a fresh post once I have remounted the medals, everything is in a bit of a mess at the moment.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast