Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Medals found on Warrington market

Article about: I was looking around Warrington indoor market the other day and came across these three medals for sale on a science fiction and comic stall of all places! The war medal and victory medal ar

Default Medals found on Warrington market

I was looking around Warrington indoor market the other day and came across these three medals for sale on a science fiction and comic stall of all places!

The war medal and victory medal are a pair to SPR . W. WALKER of the R. E. But it is the single 1914-15 star which has proved to be the most interesting.

It was awarded to Private Percy Appleton of the Cheshire Regiment. On the 1st September 1916, Percy received a shrapnel wound to the left arm - which eventually proved serious enough for him to be invalided out of the Army. There seems to have been some confusion as to what his rank was at the time of his injury, which resulted in an exchange of letters. it would also appear that Percy was promoted from Private to Sergeant in one go. Percy lived at Ash Cottage on Lymm Road, Lymm - only a few miles from where I live.

The price of the 1914-15 star was £4.99p! The other two were £35.

Medals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington marketMedals found on Warrington market

?

Interesting finds & at a good price too..So well done there.. Cheers Terry.

nice find harry.

Love the 'Walker' pair.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Very good price for the very interesting star, a good find, you never know where it will turn up sometimes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.