Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A Mons Star group

Article about: Here's the latest addition to my medal collection a Mons star trio with M.I.D and the Meritorious Service Medal. The star is inscribed to 10457 Sapper Henry Rose R.E. The War Medal and Victo

?

The following is from the book I quoted above and regarding the time of issue for 1914 Stars.

Three different styles of naming have been observed, yours looks to me as if it’s the first style, the characteristics are slightly uneven, letters 2mm high and lines 3mm apart. If it is the first style of naming then the majority were issued in 1919 and 1920 so the envelope possibly (but maybe not) held the pair as well as his clasp and roses issued in 1923? 1914 Stars issued in 1923 and later have 1.7mm high letters, are evenly impressed with slight variations, full stops, commas and colons, although it isn’t a hard and fast rule.

I reckon the best way to judge the year of issue for the Star (if you really want to) is to measure the height of the letters (2mm or 1.7mm) and then do eeny meeny miny moe

The book also states two kinds of bar were submitted for production, a sew on and a slider. The sew on bar was chosen as it was 50% cheaper to produce.

Tony

Hi Tony, and thanks for the information. I've tried to measure the lettering with a highly accurate steel rule which I have. My eyes cannot differentiate between 1.7mm and 2mm! I've had a good look at the slider, and it is certainly high quality. There is no give in the metal, all lettering is extremely crisp, and there are no burrs on the edges. Although it is almost certainly a copy, I would hazard a guess that it has been on there for many years. There are no signs whatsoever of the ribbons having been tampered with. The medals came in a jewellers stiff card (waxed) box of circa 1920's (or 30's) vintage. The Recorded Delivery envelope was inside with the medals on top. Maybe the jewellers mounted the medals for Mr Rose.

Cheers,
    Steve.

?

Steve, I have a digital calliper and still can’t measure the difference. Tell you what though mate, that book I have says the measurements of an original clasp should be precisely 31 x 5mm. You might want to dig your highly accurate steel rule back out as well as a magnifying glass and have a measure.

Tony

Further pictures... Although the end of the rule is a little the worst for wear, the measurement is quite accurate when taken further up the scale.

Cheers,
    Steve.

A Mons Star groupA Mons Star groupA Mons Star group

?

Bugger me, I need to get myself one of those highly accurate steel rules

Quote by ynot View Post
    Bugger me, I need to get myself one of those highly accurate steel rules
    It takes years of training before you can properly use them... The plastic ones are far better for flicking wet balls of blotting paper, and they make better smoke-bombs too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2