Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Grand Father WWI

Article about: My Grandfather Pvt. Frank D. Grist Co. A 2nd. MG BN. 1st. Infantry Division France 1917-1918.. WIA....

Default My Grand Father WWI

My Grandfather Pvt. Frank D. Grist Co. A 2nd. MG BN. 1st. Infantry Division France 1917-1918.. WIA....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grand Father  WWI  
    Attached Images Attached Images My Grand Father  WWI 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: My Grand Father WWI

Hi Bill, I like the citation, which is so typical of the era in it's design.

Did you get to have his medals?

Cheers, Ade.

ace
    ?

Default Re: My Grand Father WWI

wow u must be so proud of this man if u dont mind me asking how was he wounded bill awsome picture

Hello My Grand father was wounded in the left eye a small piece of shrapnel went through his left tear duct and his eye watered the rest of His life he got a silver star and purple heart, German occupation medal WW1 victory medal N.C. victory medal. He was in Company A 2nd. Machine Gun Bn. First infantry Division The Big Red One. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hello Bill,

I sincerely hope that you do not mind me posting the following, if you have already seen them, please accept my apologies

My Grand Father  WWI

Embarkation, Hoboken, New Jersey.

My Grand Father  WWI

Page from the Adjutant Generals Official Roster, page 6556.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Family history to be proud of, thank you for sharing.

Many people are not aware that the physical medal could only be awarded after 1932, when it was reestablished.

I alway found the Columbia accolades certificates to be both beautiful, and historically very appealing. They are beautifully designed and the notation of unit affiliation, is incredibly helpful in doing research.

John

Andrzej, Thank you very much for this information. I had never seen it. Very much appreciated. Bill Grist in N.C.

you can't beat your own family military history, respect
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

My Grandfather received A Silver Star, Purple Heart, German Occupation Medal, WWI Victory with sector bars. He was also in the Coast Guard in WWII. I am the last service member in our family, With Father, Uncles in WWII, and Korea. BILL

?

Great history, Bill and thanks for sharing; I was not aware of the Columbia citation but what a cool doc! Found this on another forum: "They were given to both the dead and wounded of the AEF after the war (1919) before the introduction of the Purple Heart in February, 1932 (recipients of this citation could apply for a Purple Heart)". The "Official Roster" Andrzej posted says he was 20% disabled at discharge..curious how that was determined and if it translated to of any sort of benefit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast