Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Named Experimental U.S. Model 5 Helmet

Article about: Hello all, yesterday I got a 10th mountain division uniform at a local tag sale. When I bought it the people running it told me they had a few helmets in bad shape and if that I was interest

Default Named Experimental U.S. Model 5 Helmet

Hello all, yesterday I got a 10th mountain division uniform at a local tag sale. When I bought it the people running it told me they had a few helmets in bad shape and if that I was interested in them that they'll be there tomorrow. When I went today I expected there to be a bunch of M1's as that's usually all I find at tag sales near me, so when I went and saw this sitting there I immediately bought it. The outside is in really good shape it basically has all of its original texture paint, the liner is missing one of its tongues but the chinstrap is still there. What really makes this helmet is that it is named to 1st lieutenant of the infantry L. E. Hllvern (or Helvern), which I think gives it a good chance of being one of the 2000 model 5s sent to France that was actually field tested. the only thing that concerns me with this helmet is that one of tongues are separating and I don't know how to properly make sure the leather won't flake away. I've only ever seen one other example of this in person and it was not in great shape, I don't think I'll ever be this lucky at an antique show again. Thank you for reading.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named Experimental U.S. Model 5 Helmet   Named Experimental U.S. Model 5 Helmet  

Named Experimental U.S. Model 5 Helmet   Named Experimental U.S. Model 5 Helmet  

Oh, what a lovely helmet and how fortunate you were to find a rare helmet. I put packaging air bags inside of my liners to keep them stable.
    I’m excited for you on this wonderful helmet.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

That is a great find.. Hidden treasures do still come to the surface now and then..

Very nice..

Smitty

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Oh, what a lovely helmet and how fortunate you were to find a rare helmet. I put packaging air bags inside of my liners to keep them stable.
    I’m excited for you on this wonderful helmet.

Marty
    Tank destroyer - Thank you for the suggestion I have a bunch of those packing bags so that should work great!

What a fantastic helmet! Congrats, Jim G.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who commented I really appreciate all the compliments and advice on how to best store it. Unfortunately I haven't been able track down any info on the lieutenant who wrote his name in the helmet or what units/divisions were issued with the model 5 for testing over in France. There's one model 5 on the small experimental helmet section of the us militaria forums that has the 83rd division insignia on the front but that's it. I did find another thread over there that originally had pictures of dough boys over in France wearing it but the images were long gone since they were hosted by a 3rd party site. Hopefully one day those pictures pop back up and more info comes out about how these were issued other than that "2,000 were sent over seas for testing".

If I were home I could possibly help with tracking down the guy but I will be gone for awhile. Again, Congratulations on a wonderful find.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

WoW!!!!!! And you didn't invite me??? LoL

This is a rare and fantastic find. Big time congratulations!

Come December, once my new Bunker is complete and I host a helmet party, you can bring it over!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    WoW!!!!!! And you didn't invite me??? LoL

This is a rare and fantastic find. Big time congratulations!

Come December, once my new Bunker is complete and I host a helmet party, you can bring it over!
    Thank you Michael! I've been to this tag sale before as the people that run it use it to clean out the "left overs" from estate sales they run and get rid of items from their house. Usually they don't have a lot of militaria, besides the 10th division uniform, and this helmet the only thing I've gotten from there was a US WW1 holster 2 years ago. I gave them my number as apparently this isn't the only helmet they have, so next time they have a sale or they give me a call you'll definitely be getting a message from me to come and check out the other ones. Also that sounds like a plan I can't wait to see full collection on display!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Thank you Michael! I've been to this tag sale before as the people that run it use it to clean out the "left overs" from estate sales they run and get rid of items from their house. Usually they don't have a lot of militaria, besides the 10th division uniform, and this helmet the only thing I've gotten from there was a US WW1 holster 2 years ago. I gave them my number as apparently this isn't the only helmet they have, so next time they have a sale or they give me a call you'll definitely be getting a message from me to come and check out the other ones. Also that sounds like a plan I can't wait to see full collection on display!
    I've given my name to tag sale operators as well. Only got one hit over all these years. 4 german ammo crates filled with stuff. Mostly junk brought home from Germany, but there were a few items that made it worth while.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast