Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

New research project!!

Article about: Before I left Philly to go to my next duty station in 1982,(Where I'm at Now) My brother's best friend knew my passion for the Military history and my small collection. He had told me about

?

Thank you very much Tech.

I printed out the pdf then scanned it to make it a jpg.
    Very interesting and it also leaves me with another question.
    I corrected the image above in post #40 to make it easier on my neck to look at.
    New research project!!

Here is the full page posted and I noted the double driving bands on the one on the right and why I cropped the other one.
    New research project!!

This is the cropped the pdf/jpg image from post#39
    This looks the most accurate image of what James is holding.
    New research project!!

Now my French and German are at the best minimal ,
    But in that image it seems to explain the same projectile for both the French 155MM and German 15.5cm
    Did they both use the same exact projectile during WW1? The Model 1890?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Now my French and German are at the best minimal ,
    But in that image it seems to explain the same projectile for both the French 155MM and German 15.5cm
    Did they both use the same exact projectile during WW1? The Model 1890?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I was in a bit of a hurry as I dug them out of a book on French Artillery (written by the father and son Belot) so I didn't anticipate even the most obvious questions. Henry Belot has dedicated his Life to making us wiser but only writes in French and His Age has caught up with him, His son Michael ist thankfully a Chip off the old Block AND translates almost everything into German. Lucky for me as my French is terrible
    That said, while it is unlikely that "exactly the same Shell" production was used by two main opponents, it is not unlikely that both countries purchased the same design and produced them at Home. Schneider and Krupp were civilian companies that produced millions of almost identical shells and sold them to anyone and everyone, afterall only the Arms Dealer can win a War.

Finally got round to it...New research project!!
    Without being able to see the Fuse Well it's difficult to say exactly which Shell James is Holding but it will be one of these long 155's. Most likely the 1890 Steel.
    New research project!!New research project!!New research project!!New research project!!New research project!!

?

Thank you Teck,
    I appreciate the time and effort you put into answering my question.

This has been a great learning experience on mortars and artillery projectiles used during WW1.

A wealth of information was share.
    I can with confidence and photographic proof, tell the family those are not Mortars James is holding and that they are indeed 155mm Artillery projectiles.

Once again, Thank you Tech and All that have helped out during this research.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5