Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New research project!!

Article about: Before I left Philly to go to my next duty station in 1982,(Where I'm at Now) My brother's best friend knew my passion for the Military history and my small collection. He had told me about

?

Default New research project!!

Before I left Philly to go to my next duty station in 1982,(Where I'm at Now)
    My brother's best friend knew my passion for the Military history and my small collection.
    He had told me about his Grandfather and his service during WW1. They all live in Philly.
    He told me about these big books that they had been given since the GF passed away.

The Poor guy walked home during a snow storm, Slipped and hit his head and got knocked out. He was covered by a snow drift and died. They didn't find his body until the snow melted. Sad way to die considering the Hell he went through during WW1.

What he gave me are the 2 volumes of ALBUM DE LA GUERRE 1914-1919.
    I fell in love with then. They are in French, But photo's I have never seen before and they have water colored painting of the Famous Generals of WW1 attached to the pages separately.
    So just before I left he asked if I wanted them. HELL YEAH!! was the answer.
    Mine are boxed up, So got this images off of Bing.

New research project!!

Well it just so happened that my Brother married his friend's sister.

Since I have an opening in my research , I thought about these books and want to see if I could research some info for my Sis In Law and her side of the family. My brothers friend ,Jimmy has since passed away, So doing this for Him and his sister.

This is what I have so far. They say they have his discharge papers but they were leant to an Uncle. So waiting on that to appear.
    But what I have is this so far.
    His name was James Monahan Lindsey, Most of his family perished in a house fire when he was young. He was raised by his older sister.

He was in his 20's when he enlisted.
    Told that he Trained at Camp Gettysburg. (My research tells me it is Camp Colt in Gettysburg PA.)
    He was gasses on July 18th 1918 while serving in France.

They shared these photo's with me.
    I am being told that the photo of him was taken before being Gassed.

Also told he was attached to Artillery Trench Mortars.
    Those projectiles he is holding are looking Very Big to be for a trench mortar. But I haven't looked into those yet.

New research project!!

Was given a photo of what is being mentioned as part of his uniform. This came from the Grand mother.
    Not something I'm familiar with being worn on a Doughboys uniform.

New research project!!

So if anybody can add to this, I would appreciated anything you see and might know about!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

What I have found so far for that date of when he was gassed is that it was during the Battle of Château-Thierry.
    On that day it was the AEF counter-offensive combat action at Château-Thierry.

Battle of Chateau-Thierry (1918) - Wikipedia.

Now when I look into Camp Colt , I an finding it was a camp for the Tank Corps of the AEF.
    It just happened to be Commanded by a young Captain named Dwight D. Eisenhower. Thought that was cool!!

Camp Colt, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia

But why would an Artillery man be there???

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Good luck Phil. I'm sure you will dig up good info.

I would think that the eagle from a post war Veterans Organization. Just a guess on my part.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Michael,
    I'm trying my best. But running into lack of knowledge on my part about WW1 and limited resources on the other search engines.

I appreciate the thoughts on the veterans organization. I'll dig into that avenue of thought.
    Its a crappy/Cropped photo of it. Be nice to have a larger one of it and what looks like a ribbon attached.
    But working with what they have.

Thanks again
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Just hit the Jackpot on USMF about this subject I posted over there!

Gent over there was able to pull up his records and even his wedding photo's.

Honestly, my Jaw dropped when I saw it all!!!

I have to get busy reading it all!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Fantastic Phil. I'm sure the family will be happy.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Greetings Phil,

Looks like Matt did his "full-service usual" over on USMF. Thought I'd add a higher resolution of his image than the one originally posted.

Njoy,

V/r Lance

New research project!!

?

Yes he did Lance!
    Above and Beyond what I was thinking.

I sent the wedding photo to my Sis In Law asking if that was James,
    She said she never seen those and she didn't know if it was him because she never met him. He died before she was born.
    But that was her Grandmom. Winner Winner on those pic's
    Sent a Big THANK YOU to Matt from her!

I'll share some of the Fantastic things Matt found to make this thread a little more valuable and to Brag about his work.

New research project!!
    His name is listed on the embarkation manifest.
    New research project!!
    New research project!!

These along with the death certificate and wedding photos and many more.
    Just amazing work! Both my SIL and I are very grateful for his help.

Awesome job on the photo.
    Thank You Lance!
    That really brings out the details!

I still have a question about the projectiles he is man handling.
    He was attached to the 2d Trench Mortar Battery,2d Artillery Brigade, Second Division.
    The family are calling them Mortar rounds.

Are they Trench Mortar rounds or Artillery rounds?

Semper Fi
    Phil

What a great thread!

Now, I know very little about ww1 artillery, but I had a look and found this. Could the shells be for the the 240 mm Trench Mortar as used by US troops.

Photos courtesy of the link below.

240 mm Trench Mortar - Wikipedia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New research project!!   New research project!!  

?

Thank you Willmore,
    That sure is a start. Yeah I'm not an Arty/Mortar guy.
    Or did I know they had a Mortar that big.
    That could be a match, That's awesome!!
    It gives me something to look at.

Very Cool!

Thanks again!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast