Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Newly Acquired M1918 Au Lion

Article about: Hello all, I’m new to the forum, but have been collecting (mostly WWII) militaria for a few years. Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise here. Through research on this and other f

?

Default Newly Acquired M1918 Au Lion

Hello all, I’m new to the forum, but have been collecting (mostly WWII) militaria for a few years. Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise here. Through research on this and other forums I’ve learned a lot about M1918 mk 1 knives, and I picked one up today that certainly looks good to me. That being said, I’m definitely a novice and would very much appreciate any of you more experienced collectors confirming that this is a legit Au Lion, or offering any comments about the knife. One thing that stands out to me as different from other original examples I’ve seen posted, is the apparent lack of periods in the U.S.1918 engraving. Are there other examples where these periods aren’t pronounced? Thanks, George

Greetings,

I agree with your concern about the lack of definitive periods. Additionally, I do not recall viewing a second type (collector's terminology) Au Lion's, handle so roughly cast before (first type, roughly cast handles are quite common). I like the blade, scabbard, and skull crusher/nut, but that handle is a definite "iffy" one for me. May just be a Monday morning special (in terms of production's quality), but I'm not getting a "warm and fuzzy" from it. Other concern is the circled red area, which may indicate a vent hole used when cast by a craftsman not familiar with the original's casting process. Wish I could be more definitive, but for me, the handle is in the category of maybe it is (original), maybe it isn't. And in collecting anything heavily faked, when you have doubt, it rarely gets better with age.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Hi Lance, thanks very much for weighing in, I appreciate it.

Best,
    George