MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

NY State Volunteers Metal - Spanish / Philippines War

Article about: On the back of picking up a WW1 NY State Medal I dug around and pulled out this New York State Spanish American War (and Philippines War) award that was given to what I think is my Great Gre

MAP
    ?

Default NY State Volunteers Metal - Spanish / Philippines War

On the back of picking up a WW1 NY State Medal I dug around and pulled out this New York State Spanish American War (and Philippines War) award that was given to what I think is my Great Great Grandfather on my mothers side.

Maker is Dieges & Clust 20 John St. NY

New York State - War Service Medal - WW1

It was awarded to George H Miller, father of Henry John Miller who was my mothers grandfather. There was an earlier relative that fought in the civil war I am told. Their name was anglicised sometime after emigrating (1860's) from Muller (I can't put in the Umlauts) and were originally from Hesse Germany.

This medal was awarded to volunteers from the state of New York who served in the Spanish American War and also part of the Philippine American War. Apparently, the medal was given to all volunteers, including army and naval militia.

The obverse of the medal shows the army volunteer, in full gear, advancing on the foe. The reverse reads "Awarded by the State of New York To One Who Served the Nation With Honor 1898-1899-1900."

The award is bronze in color. The colors are a bit washed out.

Double click to enlarge

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Michael,

Beautiful example... And with family ties... A great heirloom..

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Michael,

Beautiful example... And with family ties... A great heirloom..

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty. I have precious few items from relatives. So even an insignificant piece like this is nice to have.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I like that

?

Excellent piece of Family history!!
    Any photos of your GGGF?
    Glad this got bumped.
    I missed it the first time around.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Excellent piece of Family history!!
    Any photos of your GGGF?
    Glad this got bumped.
    I missed it the first time around.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. Unfortunately no. There are some family records/photos floating around but with the passing of my mother, I think my sisters have much of this. I will need to speak to them to see what they have and try to piece it together.

Lance was kind enough to offer some support. But I have to see if I can get the paperwork or if it even exists.

This is all on my mothers side. She had a very complicated family. Both her parents were married before (spouses died) and there we lots of step brothers and sister merged into the new family with at least 4 different surnames. (My mother was the only child from this new marriage.)

I was able to trace back my Grandfather family in the US to around 1865 when it appears his parents emigrated from Breitenbach and/or Elsass Lothringen (Alsace Lorraine ) area in Germany. But the case is cold on the maternal side, and this award is from that part of the family. Family legend is that they are Hessian.

MAP
    ?

Well. I spent the last 3 days mapping out my mothers family tree back to the mid 1800's when they emigrated from Germany (Prussia, Breitenbach Hesse and Elsass Lothringen)

With the immense help from Lance, he was able to find George R(udolph) Millers Draft Card.

He was born Oct 8th, 1867 in Brooklyn NY and passed on June 16, 1937. He enlisted on July 1st 1898 and was assigned to NY 22nd Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company L. Unfortunately he saw no action. At the time he enlisted, the 22nd was already in Cuba fighting. He was MOR'ed (Mustered Out of Roll) only 5 short months later. Not sure why. But despite his lack of action, he did qualify for the NY State Volunteers Medal.

As part of this search, we learned that his son Howard Miller, served in WW2 as an "instructor" and more importantly his Father (Henry Muller), was a Civil War Veteran having served with the 7th NY Inf Rgt, Company D, that engaged in a number of battles and apparently was present at Lee's surrender at Appomattox. . It appears he was wounded (or ill) as he was hospitalized in June 65 at the Emory Hosptial in Washington DC. His draft card also interestingly noted that Henry Muller was a "substitute" for an "Alven Miller" (maybe a relative). Henry was eligible to be a substitute as he was only 19 and thus under the official conscription age of 20 to 45. He was MO'ed on July 5, 1965 with the added designation of D.M.O.R which I think means Distinguished Member of Regiment.