Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!

Article about: Hi guys can I have some feedback on whether the paintwork looks good or not,and maybe a guide price too if possible,many thanks in advance............

Default opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!

Hi guys can I have some feedback on whether the paintwork looks good or not,and maybe a guide price too if possible,many thanks in advance............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!   opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!  

opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!   opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!  

Anyone?...........

?

Well, personally, I haven't seen a WW1 British Helmet with a "sand" finish textured paint job.

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Well, personally, I haven't seen a WW1 British Helmet with a "sand" finish textured paint job.

Gary J.
    That's what I was thinking.

?

The bullet "ping" has broken through the texture, pointing to the finish being original to the helmet ...
    I was wondering if someone has "mated" a later shell possibly to an earlier liner. (The liner fixture screw/rivet looks rather loose).
    As for the camo paint, ... it doe's look rather "fresh" ..

Gary J.

?

Could you try and get some different shots the color of the helmet seems off maybe some with no flash. The painting on the front looks like it is for the 1st army artillery.

?

Not fond of the paint scheme or lack of patina. Also the bullet ping is a major concern as most were painted post war or for parade use.....so who shot this helmet and when. It seems to lack edge or high point wear everywhere, so why is it "battle damaged"?
    Regards,
    John

IMHO, I think it's good. The lighting in the seller's photos wash out the helmet.

Over time, I've noticed that the paint on WWI helmets (especially division flashes painted front and center) tend to wash out/ become less sharp...

will add some pics,and im in no doubt the paint is original apart from someone taking a pop at the poor thing,looks much better in hand,there was some white paint spilt on it but i have managed to remove it without any damage to the camo.............

When you say M1917 Doughboy helmet, I assume you are talking about a US WWI helmet, since American GIs were often referred to as Doughboys. The US Army Ordnance Department bought 400,000 British helmets before starting to produce an American made copy of the British design. American-made helmets did have a sand finish. The photo below is an early US helmet which appears to have a lining similar to yours. "Later American-made helmets had a lining that was woven of cotton twine in meshes three-eighths of an inch square." Americans Munitions, Washington:GPO 1919, pp. 223-24. Dwight
    opinions please on this m17 doughboy camo helmet!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast