Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Pair of Death Plaques to two brothers

Article about: Sadly another brother was also lost in the Great War, but his plaque went to another family member is now sadly lost. Cheers, Ade.

Default Pair of Death Plaques to two brothers

Sadly another brother was also lost in the Great War, but his plaque went to another family member is now sadly lost.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pair of Death Plaques to two brothers  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Any ides what Regiments they belonged to Ade?
    "Per Ardua"

Lance Corporal William Wigan Summers served with the Australian Army Medical Corps and was killed at Gallipoli 28th June 1915.

I have not researched his fully brother yet. But I think he was a local lad in the Notts & Derby's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello, I never saw such items, thanks! A kind of souvenir?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

These were given by the Government to the next of kin of all servicemen and women who died in the Great War. There was also a paper scroll given too at the same time.

You can only really research a man if his name is unique (Unless you get them direct from the family who might know who he served with) as there are no unit details on the plaque. They were nick named "The Death Penny".

They sell on average for around £80 to £90 each now.

Cheers, Ade.

Would be good if they could stay together.

They are being sold as one lot. I could never split them up. Hopefully the buyer will think the same as they are worth more as a pair.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Ade,

Many thanks for your post, I have been able to find the entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour for William Wigan Summers :

The Page from the Roll of Honour

Enlargement of the entry.

I have also looked through the CWGC for Ernest, but have not been able to find him listed on the CWGC site.

Anyway I hope that the above is of some use and help to you Ade and the winner of the Auction.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Many thanks Ade.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thanks Ade
    "Per Ardua"