Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case

Article about: Hi All, I picked this MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass last year whilst on Holiday in Cornwall at Truro antiques fair. It was sat on a dealer's table for around £30. The leather case is emboss

Default Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case

Hi All,

I picked this MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass last year whilst on Holiday in Cornwall at Truro antiques fair. It was sat on a dealer's table for around £30. The leather case is embossed R.S.S and on the back of the compass it has R.S.Shaw etched. I can find a Reginald Sugdon Shaw who started as a Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery during WW1, which may fit with the style of compass. The records show he was awarded the Military Cross in 1918; "Gazette Information: Gazette issue 30813. Military Cross; For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He organised parties at the ammunition refilling point, and took over the corps ammunition dump, where he remained to supply the retiring batteries, through under hostile fire, which was concentrated on the vicinity of the dump. Again he remained at the ammunition railhead after its evacuation by the railway personnel. On another occasion, being warned that the enemy were approaching, he stayed to destroy all records, and only left when the railhead was between our infantry and the enemy. His perseverance, steadfast demeanour, and courage were a fine example to his men."
    I can find records of him living in Hull post WW1.

Handwritten on the case of the compass is "Lt. L.W. HILL 3 COY 15th ARMY HQ SIGNALS. 29 SWINBURN ST. HULL", Who is listed as serving during WW2. This address is also around a 5 minute walk from the address I had previously found for R.S.Shaw.

I hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case   Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case  

Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case   Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case  

Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case   Pre-War MKVI Verner's Pattern Compass with Case