Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Queens west surreys

Article about: I thought I couldn't really keep adding my collections without some explanation. I knew my grandad was in WWI but until I told my family I was going on a battlefield tour last year I didn't

Default Queens west surreys

I thought I couldn't really keep adding my collections without some explanation.

I knew my grandad was in WWI but until I told my family I was going on a battlefield tour last year I didn't know very much about him.

My cousin has his medals so with the info on them I managed to trace his history.

He joined up in 1916 under age and found his way into the Queens west surreys 8th Battalion. This was Kitchiners new army and I have both there diaries as well as the book on the west surreys.

I now have quite a few queens Paschal Lamb badges and am always on the hunt for genuine west surreys items.

I have no original items of his other than a photo recently found in my Aunts items as she sadly passed away the other month.

So on visiting the somme where I found out he fought in various battles I decided I wanted to collect items he may have seen/used. Not so much the German items as that interest came later.

He survived and once the 8th battalion disbanded after the war he transferred to the ASC.

So sadly this is all I have on him (which is my avatar)
    Some may notice his uniform is slightly different and closer to cavalry, Ive been told by the Queens museum he was one of 13 drivers in the battalion and this was there uniform.

Queens west surreys

Thank you for reading as whenever things go wrong or things are bad I look at his photo and can only imagine what he volunteered into.
    I have great respect for soldiers of all nations not just British as the visit to langemark was very sobering.

Good that he survived as so many did not, especially those who rushed to sign up underage.

I have a few West Surreys items, though all post WWI. 1922 pattern OR's service dress cap, an unusual example and he must have been a senior NCO as it has regimental buttons, and inside it appears to have RSM written on the liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queens west surreys   Queens west surreys  

Queens west surreys   Queens west surreys  

Queens west surreys   Queens west surreys  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Good that he survived as so many did not, especially those who rushed to sign up underage.

I have a few West Surreys items, though all post WWI. 1922 pattern OR's service dress cap, an unusual example and he must have been a senior NCO as it has regimental buttons, and inside it appears to have RSM written on the liner.
    That's a very nice cap, shame the badge is a little bent but still a nice item.
    I only collect WWI west surrey items as he moved on after 1918 to the ASC but I'm always interested in queens items and love to see them.

I forgot to mention the stripes on his arm, I was told by the queens museum they are a 2 years good conduct (or 2 years un detected crime as they called it) and a wound stripe. We knew he had trench foot but can't find any record of his injuries.

It came to me with the badge bent so I left it as it is.

I have some post WWII officer caps as well, but they are well out of your interest date range, though this I thought might still be worth posting for you to see.
    Regards,

Jerry

I did think it may have found its way to you like that and if its like some of my badges they are quite tough and my break if straightened.

I would be interested, but if I was to buy a cap it would have to be like his. I was told his looks 'floppy' because after so long in the field they removed the stiffeners.

Thank you very much for showing it as so far its the only queens hat Ive seen.

I would think finding an original WWI example might be difficult, but as they did not have the regimental buttons, any cap with the correct badge might do, though it might be a put together. Expect to pay £300 + for a WWI cap
    Regards,

Jerry

Thats what I thought with the price and rarity so for now its badges and buttons I think.

You never know what you may stumble across as Im always on the lookout.