Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.

Article about: Hello all, Just after opinions on the following relic bayonet (part of a lot containing WW1 wire cutters, relic Brodie Helmet and a WW1 pattern British water bottle). To me the quillion appe

Default Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.

Hello all,

Just after opinions on the following relic bayonet (part of a lot containing WW1 wire cutters, relic Brodie Helmet and a WW1 pattern British water bottle). To me the quillion appears to have a round tip....could be due to part of the quillion rusting out. There appears to be an oil hole as well behind the where the grips would have sat on the right hand side. I always thought oil holes indicated it was not an early Lee Enfield. I can see 1907 in one of the images. My feeling is that this is a WW2 bayonet dressed up as a WW1. I contacted the seller and they have indicated that they purchased the items at the Villers Cotterets markets.

Any opinions would be great appreciated.

As always, thanks.
    Andrew

Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.Relic 1907 Pattern Hooked Quillion Bayonet.

I don't believe it's the real deal. I've never seen a hooked quillon '07 bayonet with an oil hole in the hilt and the end of the hook is bulb shaped or flattened which is wrong for the pattern 07 hook quillion. I suspect a doctored short quillion bayonet that's buried for some time to hide the signs of that doctoring. If it comes from Australia it could have originally been one of the bayonets modified for use in the Aussie movie "Gallipoli" in the 1980's.

Thanks for the reply Anderson. I know what you mean about the bulbous tip but I wondered if it was due to some of it rusting away. It comes from France and the grouping was advertised as British so potentially not pretending to be and Australia hooked quillion bayonet as used at Gallipoli. The water bottle looks nicely enameled close up an the other items seem legit at first glance but yes the bayonet does seem a bit contrived.

?

Andy,

I agree with Anderson. I don't like the oil hole and bulb shaped quillion. Also the quillion seems to have deteriorated differently to the rest of the cross guard indicating that it was added later. I don't collect relics anyway but there's more than enough red flags for me not to feel comfortable having it in my collection. Try rubbing some white chalk into the 1907 markings on the ricasso and experimenting with the contrast of your photo to find either the manufacturing or refurb date.

Alex

Hi Alex. Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually buy the bayonet etc but was considering it. Anyway, today I bought a WW1 Australian Army canteen complete with blue enamel, the original covering, cork and leather carrier and strap. It's dated 1916 (rules out Gallipoli unfortunately) and was made in Brisbane. Kind of made up a bit for the Bayonet. Would love a hooked quillion even if relic but even they appear to be faked these days. My grandfather gave me a 1916 Lee Enfield bayonet (Lithgow made) and it came with a 7th Australian Light Horse scabbard. My great grandfather was in the First Australian Light Horse during WW1.

Most Aust WW1 period hooked, were modified (snapped off) post '15. finding one would really lucky. This one has a clear weld.

Thanks for the reply Rene. I can see the weld now.

The bayonet that I mentioned in my reply above was purchased by my grandfather in the 20's for the equivalent of $2 in a surplus store. I have this fantasy that I will walk into and old antique store somewhere in country NSW and see a hooked quillion bayonet sitting on the shelf at a nice price. Very unlikely but you can always dream

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rene. I can see the weld now.

The bayonet that I mentioned in my reply above was purchased by my grandfather in the 20's for the equivalent of $2 in a surplus store. I have this fantasy that I will walk into and old antique store somewhere in country NSW and see a hooked quillion bayonet sitting on the shelf at a nice price. Very unlikely but you can always dream
    You can never know what you can find out there, I found as a kid photos of a Light Horseman up in a cotton field shed outside Moree!!

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Hi Alex. Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually buy the bayonet etc but was considering it. Anyway, today I bought a WW1 Australian Army canteen complete with blue enamel, the original covering, cork and leather carrier and strap. It's dated 1916 (rules out Gallipoli unfortunately) and was made in Brisbane. Kind of made up a bit for the Bayonet. Would love a hooked quillion even if relic but even they appear to be faked these days. My grandfather gave me a 1916 Lee Enfield bayonet (Lithgow made) and it came with a 7th Australian Light Horse scabbard. My great grandfather was in the First Australian Light Horse during WW1.
    May I ask to see your canteen? here's a early domed type

Certainly Rene. I will take some photos in the daylight and post them up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast