Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Renamed 1914 Star With (Hopefully) Some Interesting Research Potential

Article about: Hi all. Thought I would share this 1914 Star that I received recently. I know it has been renamed and usually I wouldn't bother with it because of this, however it seems that this star has q

Default Renamed 1914 Star With (Hopefully) Some Interesting Research Potential

Hi all. Thought I would share this 1914 Star that I received recently. I know it has been renamed and usually I wouldn't bother with it because of this, however it seems that this star has quite an interesting story behind it. As can be seen, it has been privately engraved to Lt. O. H. Read, 71st TMB (Trench Mortar Battery). The only O. H. Read I have been able to find served as a Private in the London Regiment and as a Lieutenant in the 9th Norfolk Regiment who was entitled to the 1914/15 Star but had been cashiered and was therefore not eligible for his medal entitlement. It just so happens that the 9th Norfolk Regiment was part of the 71st Brigade, which also contained the 71st Trench Mortar Battery so this connection seems to make sense and appears to be further supported by these entries I have found in the London Gazette:

23rd Oct. 1915 - Commisioned as (Temporary) 2nd Lieutenant into Norfolk Regiment from London Regiment.

13th Nov. 1916 - Temporary 2nd Lieutenant O. H. Read from Norfolk Regiment to be temporary Lieutenant while employed with Trench Mortar Batteries (8th July 1916).

12th Dec. 1916 - Appointed acting Captain (14th September 1916).

13th Feb. 1917 - Relinquished role of acting Captain (30th October 1916).

4th Feb. 1918 - Relinquishes commission on account of ill health, but granted honorary rank of 2nd Lieutenant (5th February 1918).

12th Feb. 1918 - Notice for 4th February 1918 is cancelled.

15th Feb. 1918 - Cashiered by sentence of a General Court Martial (23rd January 1918).

I am 95% sure that I have the right man and will endeavour to find out more, such as why he was Court Martialled. I guess that as the government wouldn't give him his medals he took matters into his own hands and purchased his own. No idea why he chose the 1914 Star though. Maybe it was out of ignorance or so that he could tell people he was there "from the start." I have seen medal groups where people have "awarded" themselves gallantry awards and other medals so this does not seem to be out of the realms of possibility.

Any comments are welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Renamed 1914 Star With (Hopefully) Some Interesting Research Potential   Renamed 1914 Star With (Hopefully) Some Interesting Research Potential  

Renamed 1914 Star With (Hopefully) Some Interesting Research Potential   Renamed 1914 Star With (Hopefully) Some Interesting Research Potential  

Certainly an interesting history and if you could not find another officer of the same name then he is likely to be the same man.

Can you make out anything of the original naming?

Hard to say if he chose a 14 star on purpose or just wanted a star medal.

A quirky medal to have. I have a renamed star medal to a man who was not entitled to a star and I assume he thought he deserved it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I'm with Jerry on this.

I too have a Star (14-15) renamed although he was originally issued a trio. A contemporary renamed medal is in my opinion very interesting as there's probably more behind the story than we think.

Tony

Thanks for the comments guys. The medal has been very neatly renamed so I can't make out anything of the previous owner's details. I know that the value of a medal is decreased if it has been renamed but hopefully I will be able to find out more about him and his misdemeanours and increase its historical value.