MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RWF items

Article about: just to show a special collection of items that belonged to my great grandfather so if your interested in the RWF id like to share them with you ,he was a machine gunner during the gallipoli

Default RWF items

just to show a special collection of items that belonged to my great grandfather so if your interested in the RWF id like to share them with you ,he was a machine gunner during the gallipoli campaign and was told if captured by the turks would be given no mercy ,later he was part of the egyption expeditionary force and i also learned he was a lewis gun instructor too ,thanks and enjoy james RWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF itemsRWF items

Great to see your treasure trove of RWF items from your family James.

I see your grandfather served with the Manchester Regiment, or so the button implies.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

hi Jerry and thanks for looking with regards to the egypt button im really not sure but it was amongst his items put aside ,perhaps he picked it up along the way my father interviewed and recorded my great grandfather's stories probably around 25 years ago and he passed away in 1995 but i now have a copy transferred from video to dvd of which i still need to catch up with when i get time ,there was a few other badges and patches kept together ,thanks james RWF itemsRWF itemsRWF items

I have medals for a member of the 5/6th composite Bn who might have known your grandad James, certainly they served at the same time in the same Bn in Palestine.

Rowlands, Edward Pritchard.
    2357&365792 RWF/6th in 158th bde 38th Welsh div & 5/6th bn.
    14/15 Star of trio, served in Gallipoli, Egypt, Palestine with the 6th Bn & with combined 5/6th Bn in Palestine.

You are probably correct about the Manchester Reg button, probably picked it up on his travels or got it from a mate, if there is no record that he ever served with them after his service with the RWF.
    Regards,

Jerry

When I say medals, I have his 14/15 star from his trio.

Do you know which Bn your Gramps first served with, the 5th or the 6th? the 5th I assume?

1/5th (Flintshire) Battalion
    August 1914 : in Flint. Part of North Wales Brigade, Welsh Division. Moved immediately on mobilisation to Conway and at the end of the month to Northampton. Moved to Cambridge in December 1914 and Bedford in May 1915.
    13 May 1915 : formation became 158th Brigade, 53rd Welsh) Division.
    Sailed from Devonport on 19 July 1915 for Gallipoli, going via Imbros and disembarking Suvla Bay on 9 August 1915.
    December 1915 ; evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt.
    3 August 1918 : amalgamated with 1/6th Bn to form the 5/6th Bn.

1/6th (Carnarvonshire & Anglesey) Battalion
    August 1914 : in Carnarvon.
    Record same as 1/5th Bn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RWF items  
    Regards,

Jerry

Thats interesting to learn Jerry i bet he did know of him do you know which area edward came from ,sounds like a nice set of medals to own .im hoping the dvd cast more light and maybe mention a few names ,he had a crystal clear memory ,thank you ,james

sorry Jerry i was typing when you posted ,im sure the 5th bn ,very nice medal and index card

I thought it would be the 5th as I thought I remembered you saying he was from Flintshire.

As you know James, I have quite a few medals for the RWF from WWI.
    Regards,

Jerry

thats right Jerry i think we have talked about it before a while back and im glad you commented on these items ,as if anybody knows his RWF militaria its you when i watch the dvd ill jot down any names mentioned and let you know mate ,it might throw up a few surprises ,thanks again, james

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast