Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Scottish Basket Hilt Sword ID help

Article about: Hello to all, I have recently acquired this sword and want to start the process in possibly Id’ing it. I believe it to be one attached to the 93rd Highlander - it has the battle honors of

Default Scottish Basket Hilt Sword ID help

Hello to all,
    I have recently acquired this sword and want to start the process in possibly Id’ing it.
    I believe it to be one attached to the 93rd Highlander - it has the battle honors of Sebastopol - Alma - Cape of Good Hope and Balklava.
    Which would bring it post Crimean war if I am not mistaken.
    My question lies mainly with the last image portraying a “crest” of sorts - Could this be a family crest or a particular sub unit ??
    Also looking to source a period correct scabbard and if possible the felt and buff liner plus tassels as well
    I do apologize not to have a full photo of the Basket hilt sword for you.
    Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much for your time.
    Cheers
    RAScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID helpScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID helpScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID helpScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID helpScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID helpScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID helpScottish Basket Hilt Sword ID help

Be nice to have a full length photo of the sword. If you are referring to the figure with the sword, I would think that is a decorative feature rather than a Heraldic device. Finding a spare scabbard to match would not be easy.

Anderson - I had to ship the sword home, and was so focused on the markings that I overlooked taking a full length shot. A decorative feature ? oh that could be - did not consider that - it has some traits from crests I have seen in the past ( family and military ) but yes it certainly could be decorative. Makes for an interesting information hunt. Cheers for the insight.

MAP
    ?

I have moved this to it's own thread
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

As part of the Cardwell Reforms of the 1870s, where single-battalion regiments were linked together to share a single depot and recruiting district in the United Kingdom, the 93rd was linked with the 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 56 at Castlehill Barracks in Aberdeen.[52] On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect and the regiment amalgamated with the 91st (Argyllshire Highlanders) Regiment of Foot to form the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.[1]

Battle honours won by the regiment were:[1]

Cape of Good Hope 1806
    Crimean War: Alma, Balaklava, Sevastopol
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Be nice to have a full length photo of the sword. If you are referring to the figure with the sword, I would think that is a decorative feature rather than a Heraldic device. Finding a spare scabbard to match would not be easy.
    I agree and would be prepared to bet money on it not being an heraldic device. Decorative element of a commercial logo perhaps and to me it looks like a representation of a Spartan warrior. I cannot think of a similar depiction in British heraldry. The closest would be Mars and Minerva on the cap badge of 28th Bn The London Regt Artists Rifles (later 21 SAS) but this is neither. Have you tried researching the sword maker?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."