Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

A Sharp-Looking Marine!

Article about: Hello everyone, I thought that I'd share my photo of a U.S. Marine ca. 1912 (?). I believe that the photo is in the original period frame. I've contemplated taking off the back in the off-ch

?

Default A Sharp-Looking Marine!

Hello everyone,

I thought that I'd share my photo of a U.S. Marine ca. 1912 (?). I believe that the photo is in the original period frame. I've contemplated taking off the back in the off-chance that he may be identified on the back of the photo. However, the back cover is secured with wire nails/brads and I'm afraid I would damage or destroy the frame, so I've left it alone. If anyone can identify the the ribbon bars and would let me know I would appreciate it. I believe that the badge is the expert rifleman's badge. Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Sharp-Looking Marine!   A Sharp-Looking Marine!  

Sharp looking fellow indeed! Very nice photo. Can't help with the ribbons, however.

Tom,

Nice picture.. I believe the darker ribbon on the Marine is the Haiti Campaign Ribbon.. I am still trying to figure out the other lighter colored ribbon..

Smitty

Tom,

The only ribbon I can possibly think it would be is the Cuban Pacification Ribbon.. The picture isn't clear enough to see if there are red, white and blue edges and an OD center portion.. Based on looking at my actual ribbon chart on my wall with ribbons, that seems to be the only one that fits..

We have some resident Marines here (Brig) and some other folks who can probably better define what the ribbons are, but I am pretty confident the first one I identified is Haitian Campaign.. I can make out the separation in the center between the blue and red..

Smitty

?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate the information Smitty. Its neat to have an idea of the campaigns that this fellow participated in. I'm not too familiar with the role of the Marines in Haitia or Cuba, so I'll be doing some research.

Tom

?

The one on the left looks like a Good Conduct.
    He is also sporting a Expert marksmanship rifle badge.
    Hard to tell what color the other one is.

That is one sharp Devil Dog.
    I believe It was covers like these that the "Jar Head" name started

Semper Fi
    Phil

Iconic marine. Thank you for taking the time to post the photo.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post

I believe It was covers like these that the "Jar Head" name started
    My exact thoughts.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    but I am pretty confident the first one I identified is Haitian Campaign.. I can make out the separation in the center between the blue and red..

Smitty
    You are correct Sir!! Wrong call on my part.
    I had to look at that on my home PC and save ,then zoom in to see what you are seeing and yes that does look like the Ribbon you mentioned.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks for the comments and insight everyone!
    Tom