Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this British mk1 with trench art

Article about: Picked this up pretty cheap and was wondering if anyone seen this type of painting on this type of helmet and if it was period done or right after Annoyed from this ads?  

Default Thoughts on this British mk1 with trench art

Picked this up pretty cheap and was wondering if anyone seen this type of painting on this type of helmet and if it was period done or right after

Various trench art type painted helmets were done at wars end, but I have not seen one with an EK on it before, interesting. It looks pretty good but sadly people have made a lot of this type of thing in more recent times so who can say with such. It the hand is best to see how old the paint looks, but hard to say if been there 20 years or 95, a hard one to call. An odd choice for one done by an allied soldier I would think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry you think it could be a German captured piece?, I just won this on eBay for $50 , I detailed the picture of the art to bring out more detail below

Quote by chevyfan2k9 View Post
    Jerry you think it could be a German captured piece?, I just won this on eBay for $50 , I detailed the picture of the art to bring out more detail below

50 bucks is a bargain whatever the paint. It looks good and stands a chance of being period done or just after wars end, but for that price you are onto a winner and I like it. Lets see your own pics when you get it in hand and tell us what you think then.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Once I get it in I take better pics Jerry

One other thought it could be a German war trophy

Hi, that is an interesting one and as Jerry says, if you only paid $50 you are on to a winner either way. Looking at the "art work" , I cannot see any signs of it being painted on top of existing aging, so for me it stands a chance as well. I to look forward to seeing good sharp close up images when you get it. Leon.

?

The numbers don't strike me as being in the German style from that period but for $50 I wouldn't care who painted it, the vet who wore it, a German who picked it up or someone else.

It's nice, it's different and I wouldn't mind owning it.

Tony

Like others have said, for $50 who cares, lol. But another possibility is that this was produced as a tourist piece after the War, as French and Belgian citizens returning to their homes in former battle zones were adept at taking war detrius and turning it into souvenir objects to meet the demand for such items by battlefield visitors in the 1920s. I think if this was the case then it would matter little to the painter or the buyer that this showed an Iron Cross on a British helmet, it was more important that it represented a souvenir of the "war to end all wars."

Personally I like the look of it.

]OK guys helmet is in hand and the art work is nice and looks like a period done I can't see anything that tells me it wasn't, below are the pics I took with closeups so I let you be the judge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast