Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

unknown uniform. scottish??

Article about: could anyone enlighten me as to the regiment? one is obviously wearing trew, so would that be a lowland regiment?? what is the armband? it appears to be part of the jacket, not worn ontop. a

Default unknown uniform. scottish??

could anyone enlighten me as to the regiment?
    one is obviously wearing trew, so would that be a lowland regiment??
    what is the armband? it appears to be part of the jacket, not worn ontop.

any pointers appriciated.
    Ed

unknown uniform. scottish??unknown uniform. scottish??unknown uniform. scottish??

You are correct in saying that lowland units wore trews as opposed to a kilt but the tartan looks like government tartan. The Lowland regiments had Leslie tartan (KOSB) and the the HLI (RHF) had Mackenzie. Both these had prominent white stripes. The Royal Scots (1st of foot) had a more plain tartan but still it had yellow stripes which would have seen seen in even those black and white shots. Government (English) tartan was worn by the Highland regiments after approximately 1725 when the English government clothed its Highlanders in this tartan. It was more of a statement made by the powers to be than anything else and they introduced a Dress Act in 1746.
    This officially banned the kilt for wear except for the Black Watch but was overturned later. The only other regiment I can think of wearing this `English` tartan would be the Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders so that `might` be your man. Might but also have a look for the Cameronian rifles.

All this info comes from my serving in the Army as a Scottish soldier many moons ago and is (admittedly) deductive guesswork.

many thanks for the reply, do you have any ideas on the "armband" seen on all three different soldiers uniforms?

Mourning bands worn at formal funerals.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by bigkeeko View Post
    You are correct in saying that lowland units wore trews as opposed to a kilt but the tartan looks like government tartan. The Lowland regiments had Leslie tartan (KOSB) and the the HLI (RHF) had Mackenzie. Both these had prominent white stripes. The Royal Scots (1st of foot) had a more plain tartan but still it had yellow stripes which would have seen seen in even those black and white shots. Government (English) tartan was worn by the Highland regiments after approximately 1725 when the English government clothed its Highlanders in this tartan. It was more of a statement made by the powers to be than anything else and they introduced a Dress Act in 1746.
    This officially banned the kilt for wear except for the Black Watch but was overturned later. The only other regiment I can think of wearing this `English` tartan would be the Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders so that `might` be your man. Might but also have a look for the Cameronian rifles.
    I tend to agree. Colour of course is (mostly) everything when identifying tartan. I have to say though that I am not entirely convinced these are army personnel. Do you have any more clues?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Looking closely at the first photo, this soldier has two noticeable items on his uniform; 1) The buttons have an 8 pointed star on them, 2) The shoulder title is curved and has a character in the centre. More than likely the unit is a Territorial Regiment. Are there any back marks on the photos?

I believe that the three man are each from a different unit.
    Photo 1 - Shoulder titles
    Photo 2 - No shoulder titles, solid color trousers
    Photo 3 - No shoulder titles, trews

Many thanks for all the help guys, it is appreciated.

Quote by aicusv View Post
    Looking closely at the first photo, this soldier has two noticeable items on his uniform; 1) The buttons have an 8 pointed star on them, 2) The shoulder title is curved and has a character in the centre. More than likely the unit is a Territorial Regiment. Are there any back marks on the photos?

I believe that the three man are each from a different unit.
    Photo 1 - Shoulder titles
    Photo 2 - No shoulder titles, solid color trousers
    Photo 3 - No shoulder titles, trews
    I also agree that they are different regiments,
    There is nothing to the reverse of the first two photos, the last one (trews) has "hamborn 1918" and a Glasgow address.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I tend to agree. Colour of course is (mostly) everything when identifying tartan. I have to say though that I am not entirely convinced these are army personnel. Do you have any more clues?

Regards

Mark
    Im afraid i have no other clues, I bought them at auction and they were mixed in with 20 or so ww1 period printed postcards, there is one more photo which was in a seperate lot, i have just noticed the armband on this one too.....

Hmm, I know from my own service in BAOR that Hamborn is a district of Duisburg in the Ruhr Valley (of Dambusters fame) and that script on the last pic I would suggest was written by no English hand plus the subject of the photo I would put a months wages on is no Brit!

Could these images have anything to do with the occupation of the Rhineland post WWI?

Regards

Mark.

PS Maybe a red herring but to my knowledge the Germans have always been rather fond of tartan since the time of Prince Albert (the Victorians did really invent tartan as is it today after all).

No mystery about this - those are POW uniforms and they are British POWs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast