Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual 1917 dated tool,possibly trench club spear

Article about: )Unusual tool,1917 dated.it is 80cm long,one end has very heavy steel broad spear,the other very much like a South African knobkerrie.ANybody seen another item like this Nathan

Default Unusual 1917 dated tool,possibly trench club spear

)Unusual tool,1917 dated.it is 80cm long,one end has very heavy steel broad spear,the other very much like a South African knobkerrie.ANybody seen another item like this Nathan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual 1917 dated tool,possibly trench club spear  

Possibly for tunnelers.

Just had a look through my copy of "Beneath Flander's Fields" and there was an illustration showing a very similar tool to this called a Push Pick. Presumably to do the same job as a regular pick, but in a more confined space. If this is indeed an original First World War tunneler's tool, I should think that it would be pretty scarce. Any chance of a photo of the date and any other markings?

Hi thank you information.being a tool for mining did cross my mind.I have now lightly cleaned it,but cannot see anything but the date.have added a photo of the date,hasn't come out to sell,proved very difficult
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual 1917 dated tool,possibly trench club spear  

Hi Nathan
    I am sure this is a tunneller's digging tool as the design makes perfect sense for digging in a confined space. I used to own one just like it, in very clean condition and marked Lucas 1917. I'll have a look later and see if I've still got any pictures of it.
    Regards,
    W.

Add: nope, sorry no photos of my old one on my pc.