Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US WWI Oversea's Cap with Postal Express Patch

Article about: Gents, Here is another recent pickup that I find interesting. This is a unique piece from looking at it from one side it is a pretty common WWI oversea's cap until you look at it from the ot

Default US WWI Oversea's Cap with Postal Express Patch

Gents,

Here is another recent pickup that I find interesting. This is a unique piece for looking at it from one side it is a pretty common WWI oversea's cap until you look at it from the other side for which shows a Postal Express Patch that was hand sewn on. I just find it interesting for I have never really previously had any known knowledge of the Express Mail Service. Unfortunately, there are no stamps or markings attributing to anyone in particular. However it will display well and be one of those conversation pieces in my collection.

Now the Postal Express was a special branch of the army that took over the reigns for mail delivery from the US Postal service in 1918. Apparently the USPS wasn't up to task for handling the mail delivery to our troops overseas and the Army created their own mail delivery service.

This item was also has a significant meaning for I am the owner of a beautiful 13 year old Greyhound named, Katrina.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WWI Oversea's Cap with Postal Express Patch   US WWI Oversea's Cap with Postal Express Patch  

US WWI Oversea's Cap with Postal Express Patch   US WWI Oversea's Cap with Postal Express Patch  

Excellent description.

Not too often do you see something this rare surface..

The insignia is in extraordinary condition.. given it is over 100 years old.

A very nicely done which I would imagine is a hand made insignia.

Thank you for sharing..

Smitty

Smitty,

Thank you! Though the patch is a bit faded from its original dark blue hue, I agree that it is quite amazing that it has survived this long. Thank you again for your kind words!

Joel

Here is another interesting factoid.

"In 1918 Brigadier General Robert C. Davis oversaw the expansion of all Adjutant General Operations in the European theater, to include assuming the responsibility for overseas post offices. In 1918 military personnel started to operate field postal stations and the first all-military mail service in American history, known as the Military Postal Express Service (MPES), was put into operation. As the service grew, the MPES opened the first Army Post Office, APO 753, in May in Limoges, Haute-Vienne, France."

Source: dvids

It's in amazing condition.
    Excellent find.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Greg,

Thank you very much!

Joel

Hello Joel,

I found the following photographs online hope they are of some interest :

Officers Sterling Silver Badge

Best wishes

Andrzej

Andrej,

Thank you for sharing the additional pictures! I especially love the officer's bar!

Joel