Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

VC winners bible ????

Article about: This bible was given to me by a friend who picked it up at a car boot sale, I had a look to see if it was possible to find out about the soldier named, sadly no service number but I found tw

jwp
    ?

Default VC winners bible ????

This bible was given to me by a friend who picked it up at a car boot sale, I had a look to see if it was possible to find out about the soldier named, sadly no service number but I found two men of that name who had served in the grenadier guards, the first was a VC winner* so would be an amazing find if turned out to be his, the other chap also later served in the ASC but did not enter theatre of war until late 1915, I contacted the Grenadier Guards museum with the details on the 10th june but have had no response so still a mystery.
    John.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Barber *

VC winners bible ????VC winners bible ????VC winners bible ????VC winners bible ????

Interesting find John, as shame he did not put his service number in it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

thanks Jerry, no papers seemed to survive for the VC winner, but there was some for the chap who served in the grenadiers then ASC, this is his signature, can see some similarities.

VC winners bible ????

I think it's the VC winner,his B is distinctive and different to the one above.

Hi John, personally I think you have the VC winners Dedication as well, the "tail" to the "R" is similar to the known example, but the rest is most definitely in a different style. This obviously would not be his signature as such, as HE has named his Bible, for ownership reason's. I to would not use my signature as it would be unreadable!! (My name is written in my own bible). I think you have found a little gem! Leon.

I also agree, it appears to be an almost completely different signature on the 2nd document.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

many thanks all !, rather disappointed that the Grenadiers museum, who hold his medals, did not bother to reply,
    cheers, John.

give them time.