Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap

Article about: I think it is 2nd Dragoon Guards, c.1900 (+or- 10 years) or's pill box cap. Anyone clued up on these, please comment as they are a nightmare to research it seems and there is either conflict

Default Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap

I think it is 2nd Dragoon Guards, c.1900 (+or- 10 years) or's pill box cap.

Anyone clued up on these, please comment as they are a nightmare to research it seems and there is either conflicting or little information out there. It appears to have a replacement sweat band glued into it but otherwise seems all good. Whether this is a 115 or so years old survivor or a movie prop or even a more recent example from a OCTU/ACF or band is not certain, but at the price it was I will be happy whatever the out come.

The close up photo's show considerable wear and tarnish to the bullion work and the body and it compares well with other period or's examples. What confuses the issue is there was a forerunner type and in particular the officers versions or that and the later types tend to survive more often than the OR's examples and are made to a much higher standard, though that is often the case for early headgear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap   Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap  

Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap   Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap  

Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap   Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap  

Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I can't comment one way or the other about this really, I don't know anything about them. But it looks similar in construction to others I have seen on the web. This one is currently for sale on eBay.

Victorian/Edwardian Pill Box CapVictorian/Edwardian Pill Box Cap

Steve,

I have been searching the web, saw that one and it does seem to tick most of the boxes for these and that's great as it was a very good price for such things. There is an officers example on the bay for £800....
    Regards,

Jerry

I've seen them at arms fairs for much less than that. Maybe the officers one won't sell, it seems a bit ambitious.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've seen them at arms fairs for much less than that. Maybe the officers one won't sell, it seems a bit ambitious.
    I think you are correct, £800 is way more than what I would expect one to fetch, a few hundred at best for a nice example, if that.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have been told it is for an Officer of the Derbyshire Yeomanry, though I am not sure it is a complete match, but so many of the small yeomanry and militias are not so well recorded and they change over time that it might be them.
    Regards,

Jerry