Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Victorian Era Campaign Medals

Article about: Two medals that I have been fortunate to acquire in the past few months. First is a Sutlej Medal from 1846, to 1312 Pte John Ross 16th Lancers. This medal is the Reverse Aliwal, clasp Sobrao

?

Default Victorian Era Campaign Medals

Two medals that I have been fortunate to acquire in the past few months.
    First is a Sutlej Medal from 1846, to 1312 Pte John Ross 16th Lancers. This medal is the Reverse Aliwal, clasp Sobraon version.
    Ross took part in the famous charge of the 16th Lancers at Aliwal on 28 January, 1846, where they broke the square of the Sikh infantry. Out of 560 all ranks, the 16th sustained 143 casualties, including 2 officers and 57 other ranks killed.
    Ross , from London, enlisted in 1839, and, like many others, chose to transfer to another regiment in India, first the 3rd Light Dragoons, where he was awarded the Punjab Medal with clasps Chillianwallah and Goojerat ( I need to find that one!), and then transferred again to the 9th Lancers in 1852. He was discharged in 1854,a tough old cavalry trooper I have to think.
    Second is a Crimea Medal, clasps Alma & Sebastopol to 3193 J. Clark S.F. Guards. ( Scots Fusilier Guards)
    I have yet to try to locate sevice details for Clark & wonder why no Inkerman clasp? Was he sick or lightly wounded? I need to find out.
    Please excuse my poor photos; I had a hell of a time trying to photograph the naming to the rims. Victorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign MedalsVictorian Era Campaign Medals

BobS

very fine pick ups Bob. I would love a crimea medal to a welsh unit
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.