Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What is this unusual item - Military figures

Article about: I have just inherited this and have no idea what it is or when it dates from. I guessing WW1, however, it could be earlier. I also have no idea who Lt Col Hon CW ADDY is, other than he was a

Default What is this unusual item - Military figures

I have just inherited this and have no idea what it is or when it dates from. I guessing WW1, however, it could be earlier. I also have no idea who Lt Col Hon CW ADDY is, other than he was a relative of my uncles mother.

The item is clearly of quality and well used. It is a boxed series of wooden pieces which detach from each other. Hopefully the photos are self explanatory.
    My guess is that they are some sort of pieces for military manoeuvres to be used on a map or maybe some kind of game. I’m welcome to comments
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this unusual item - Military figures   What is this unusual item - Military figures  

What is this unusual item - Military figures   What is this unusual item - Military figures  

What is this unusual item - Military figures   What is this unusual item - Military figures  

Interesting..... how big are the pieces?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

That would be my guess. Laid out on a situation map and moved around during the planning stage or for briefings. Very neat! I’ve never seen anything like this for lower level units. Even better it has a family connection.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Interesting..... how big are the pieces?
    Forgot to give the size! It’s slightly larger than a packet of cigarettes. It’s 4” x 5”
    Last edited by Grimebox; 05-19-2021 at 09:36 PM.

I’m struggling to find anything about this item or Lt Col Hon C W ADDY. The publisher appears to date back to the middle of the nineteenth century so I’m wondering whether this is more Victorian than WW1. As for Lt Col Hon C W ADDY so far I’ve not been able to find anything

the colonel is in the 1st battalion grenadier guards according to the markings
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Many thanks, I’m still struggling to find him (or exactly what this is!). I would have thought that if it related to WW1 then there would be some record of him which is another reason why I now think it’s earlier.