Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Artillery Shell Casing ID

Article about: Hello All, I picked up this WW1 shell casing from a dealer earlier today (paid £9, good price?). I was wondering if anybody could help me identify the markings underneath and what they mean.

?

Default WW1 Artillery Shell Casing ID

Hello All,
    I picked up this WW1 shell casing from a dealer earlier today (paid £9, good price?). I was wondering if anybody could help me identify the markings underneath and what they mean. My usual field of collecting is WW2/Third Reich so I hope to learn as I go. Also, does anybody know what gun fired these things? Any information would be great!

Cheers, skip01.

Its an 18 Pounder shell case. Standard field artillery piece of the British Army during the First World War. Looks to be 1917 dated. I'm sure others will be able to tell you more about the manufacturer etc. Its a shame it is missing its primer but I think you did OK for the money as I have noticed that these are starting to climb in price.

?

It was made by the “Gramophone Company”

I would say thats a pretty good price.

Can't anything else really. CF is cordite filled of course. £9 is fine for one of these.

?

Thanks for the info and replies, guys. Once again, I'm indebted to this forum and it's members

And here is the gun that fired it...

?

Wow Steve that’s amazing , pretty cool you know the exact gun that fired the original posters casing!

Assuming that’s what you meant

?

Great pic, what is the name of the gun?

It's an Ordnance QF 18-Pounder. It was the standard field gun of the British Empire at the time of the Great War.

QF 18-pounder gun - Wikipedia

B.B.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Wow Steve that’s amazing , pretty cool you know the exact gun that fired the original posters casing!

Assuming that’s what you meant
    Yep... and not only that, I know the gunner's best mates name, and what colour underpants they were wearing...