Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???

Article about: Hi all, i purchased this cap today i was wondering if it is WW1 period, it is WW1 style with a thin WW1 style leather chin strap, a padded inside, a logo of what seems to a a train underneat

Default WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???

Hi all, i purchased this cap today i was wondering if it is WW1 period, it is WW1 style with a thin WW1 style leather chin strap, a padded inside, a logo of what seems to a a train underneath the leather sweatband and a leather tab internally behind the cap badge, i believe the cap badge to be a re-strike and there is a hole behind it where a tab for a cap badge once was. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Harry

WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???

It looks post WWII, the form and construction of the peak does not match what I would expect to see for a WWI period cap. The buttons are a bit odd for an officers cap, obviously not RE. Is the badge gilded brass for OR's or a gilt version for an officer? It appears to be the or's version.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi, do you mean post WW1 or post WW2? and what makes you believe it is post war?, here are some pictures of the cap badge.

Cheers
    Harry

WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???

The badge looks to be original and has been converted in to a sweetheart broach, also the buttons are metal rather than leather.

Sorry, post WWI is what I meant Harry and because the peak looks too long and is the wrong shape, also most from WWI do not have the underside covered in the same fabric as the rest of the cap. Mind you it could be quite late and the odd buttons are not something I have seen before. Badge looks to be a nice sweetheart conversion, though I still cant see if it is an officers or OR's version.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the reply, i do have another cap with a green underside, and looks to WW1 pattern and metal general service buttons, what period do you think this cap could be?

Many thanks

Cheers
    HarryWW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???

Jerry I agree with your assessment I would add that a long peak on an officers cap does not necessarily denote post WW1 officers caps have varying peak lengths unlike the 1905 SD Cap which does have a short peak.

regards

Mark

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Sorry, post WWI is what I meant Harry and because the peak looks too long and is the wrong shape, also most from WWI do not have the underside covered in the same fabric as the rest of the cap. Mind you it could be quite late and the odd buttons are not something I have seen before. Badge looks to be a nice sweetheart conversion, though I still cant see if it is an officers or OR's version.

?

For comparison's sake, here is my WWII era Royal Engineers officer's cap.

BobSWW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???WW1 British Officers Peaked Cap Identification Authentic???

?

The second cap looks WW2 style to me, considering the lining. Late interwar or early wartime.
    The first cap also looks WW2 but I am puzzled by the buttons and agree with Jerry on the badge. I can see how the lining looks WW1-esq, but I am leaning towards it being mid to late war. The buttons and "quilted" style lining could be down to commonwealth outfitter, i.e India, Egypt? Any makers marks or names on the cap?

Just my thoughts, and hard to say without having the caps in your hands.

Also Bob, very nice example. That is one wide chinstrap! Is it a Bates cap?

?

Yep, it's a Bates cap.

BobS