Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW1 British officers uniform need help

Article about: I recently picked up the WW1 British Officers tunic that according to the lapel insignia and shoulder epaulettes, belonged to a Captain of the British Army Royal Fusiliers and may have been

?

Great! I will contact them! I’ll probably start with an email, some info, the Name, or at least the letters, etc. some photos and the unit.
    I hope it works.
    Thanks for the phone number snd email.

?

Email and photos sent to Dede and Skinner. See if they respond. I will keep you all informed. Thanks again for your help.

Tunic does not look great war to my eyes
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Valid point.. of course (Jerry doesn’t do any other kind).
    The skirt doesn’t seem quite full enough for the style of the period; perhaps closer to the 1930s?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Tunic does not look great war to my eyes
    I tend to agree.

This is the 1916 pattern worn until mid WWII and the material does look like a fairly fine quality Barathea cloth (I know Barathea weave is of 19th century origin) of later manufacture. I know that is subjective but this just looks to be later. If it were WWI period I would expect to see at least some sign of medal ribbons having been present. Also, I have never seen buttons like the ones here used on any military uniform. Perhaps they were added post-service?

Hopefully the maker might be helpful but be prepared for them to cite "Client confidentiality" if they still serve the family.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-26-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I would expect to see a central waist seam and probably a watch/change pocket next to it on anything pre sometime mid 1920's or even 30's, I don't have an exact date for the dropping of these features, though I suspect there will always be specially ordered earlier pattern tunics for long serving officers who want them WWII to show their status
    Regards,

Jerry

some great war officer tunics with either cuffband or waist pocket or both. I know these are mostly cuff rank but still valid for the point I was making
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British officers uniform need help   WW1 British officers uniform need help  

WW1 British officers uniform need help   WW1 British officers uniform need help  

WW1 British officers uniform need help  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thank you. Yes. I welcome your opinions. I’m not saying that I am correct but
    As far as signs of medal ribbons, in my last photo, the threads are left on the inside the coat where a sewn ribbon bar was removed.
    Also closer look at the Dede and Sons manufacturing tag, that was enhanced by Kohima, the last part , lower right looks like the date 1918, it looks like an abbreviated month is in front of it that is unreadable.
    There are also 2 belt hooks in the back of the coat.
    But yes, the material does appear to be the same material as WW2.
    This maybe late WW1? Or after? Inter wars?

?

Thanks. I’m getting quite the lesson.

As I study more about Chaplain’s during The Great War, the more I’ve grown to appreciate the British soldier and their fighting and innovative spirit. We Yank’s entered the War years later and learned a lot from the British.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast