Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW1 British officers uniform need help

Article about: I recently picked up the WW1 British Officers tunic that according to the lapel insignia and shoulder epaulettes, belonged to a Captain of the British Army Royal Fusiliers and may have been

?

Default WW1 British officers uniform need help

I recently picked up the WW1 British Officers tunic that according to the lapel insignia and shoulder epaulettes, belonged to a Captain of the British Army Royal Fusiliers and may have been with a territorial unit according to the “T” on the epaulettes. There are 2 tags in the collar. One is completely faded out. Also from loose threads, military ribbons were removed. The other manufacturers tag is faded and sweat stained but some of the type can be figured out.
    It would be greatly appreciated if I could get some help identifying the possible history of the coat and some possible help identifying the original WW1 era soldier that it once belonged.
    Very interesting is that some unit numbers and soldiers regimental service numbers are readable.
    From the collar and the J. Dege and Sons LTD tag, I would like some help identifying the numbers, their meanings and hopefully the soldiers identity.
    Inside the collar is an ID number sewn in yellow thread that seem like possibly SD 8898, 508848 or some other combination.
    On the coat makers tag, the first readable number is..No. 937 and unreadable type( probably his name?
    The bottom line looks like, B/4 (or 1/4), R. FUS____ 29 ID.
    Hopefully someone could help figuring out the unit, Regimental service number and the soldier. Thanks for your help.

WW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need helpWW1 British officers uniform need help

?

Sorry for some of the sideways photos. I don't know how to correct it.
    The 5th photo looks like possible blood stain, inside the right sleeve.

?

From Brig. E.A. James' "British Regiments 1914-1918", the only battalion of the Royal Fusiliers that served in the 29th Division was the 2nd battalion, a regular, not territorial battalion; the 29th was also a regular division.
    Perhaps this officer was a T/A replacement for a regular officer casualty.
    The 29th Division fought at Gallipoli in 1915, then in France from March, 1916.
    The 1st/4th ( City of London) Battalion Royal Fusiliers served with the 56th Division in France.

BobS

?

Thanks BobS. Any thoughts on the number 937 in the faded manufacture label? And the sewn in number in the collar? Do you think it is traceable to the soldier?

?

Just had a quick muck about with contrast and saturation..
    The name is looking something like ‘Lt. G. Banson’ or similar.
    A bit of a long shot, but Dege is still in business (Dege & Skinner, since 1953); maybe they have kept records..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British officers uniform need help  

?

Ha! Great eyes! Thanks. Worth a shot. Thanks!!

?

I don’t know how you tweaked it, but yes! It does look like G. Banson.

?

Great eyes? I wish..!
    I’m falling to bits, mate.

Not sure of the ‘son’ part; it may be slightly longer than that. ‘Ban’ I’m about 60% on!
    A lot of Saville Row tailors keep archives, so (if they’re not too snotty about speaking to a plebeian Militaria collector), they may be able to help.

?

Yes! I’ll try to dig up some contact information on Dege and Son. That would be something!

?

DEGE & SKINNER
    10 Savile Row, London, W1S 3PF

+44 (0) 20 7287 2941

info@dege-skinner.co.uk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast