Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ww1 british, rare smoke/ gas hood,

Article about: hi guys can you shed some light on this would love your thoughts

Default Ww1 british, rare smoke/ gas hood,

hi guys can you shed some light on this would love your thoughts Attachment 1279480Attachment 1279481Attachment 1279482

i can not believe that no one can make the view on this i what you think of the hood ???
    would be a big help thanks andy

Quote by firefox View Post
    i can not believe that no one can make the view on this i what you think of the hood ???
    would be a big help thanks andy
    These are not a commonly seen item and sure it looks fine but that is not really an informed opinion, more a gut feeling which is not what you want, especially if you are thinking of buying it based on any opinions you get here, as I assume it is not cheap.

There are probably few on here who can help and they might not visit every day, either get some patience or take it somewhere else.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    These are not a commonly seen item and sure it looks fine but that is not really an informed opinion, more a gut feeling which is not what you want, especially if you are thinking of buying it based on any opinions you get here, as I assume it is not cheap.

There are probably few on here who can help and they might not visit every day, either get some patience or take it somewhere else.
    thank you i do hope so andy
    no not a cheap item .

?

Some far more detailed images would help...
    This an extremely easily faked item, after all...

Bob

will post photos can you tell me what i need to look for thanks

thank you all have commented on the hood but you all have not on the pouch ?? this plays a big part on this
    why would the pouch be with this , and if the hood would have been in it would this explain why the hood is in great condition ????

If it were my personal decision, I'd stay away from it just because they are so easy to fake and nothing looks right to me - spoken as a pure hobbyist. I don't like the fresh looking green strap and it's white splatters. It doesn't seem to match up with the bag. If the hood was supposed to have been contained in that bag, it also doesn't look right. The bag looks stained and saturated in places. If something was in that bag, it would have suffered some of that same damage that affected the bag. Don't like the fact that the hood material is nothing like the bag material. That, off course may mean nothing, but 100 years ago, I don't believe it would be a stretch to speculate that the materials might have come from the same batch? Again, just my pure musings, but.....

Thank you guys for all the info i have now backed out of the sale due to most think it is a copy
    it could have been just could be one of the best ww1 hoods that has survived in great condition .
    Thank you for all the replies and help on this

?

I am not saying it is a fake... it may well be real... indeed, there is a great deal to like about it, but close up, clear detailed photographs are needed of everything, inside and out, to enable any informed opinion.

The bag should be of a different material, as the hood is shirt flannel (soaked in Hyposulphate solution), while the bag is of waterproofed groundsheet-type material (to protect it).
    There appears consistent staining on pouch and hood (below the mica window), possibly a light oil. The white staining to the interior of the pouch, the hood itself and on the strap appears to be residue from the now crystallised hypo solution (the strap conceivably having been tucked inside the pouch during its storage).
    The thing that concerns me slightly is the condition of the mica window itself. One hundred year old mica tends to be heavily wrinkled, yellowed and extremely brittle... However, it could well be that this example has spent most of that time in a very ‘comfortable’ environment (with a not excessive degree of wear). Such well preserved mica is certainly not unheard of and several examples, in similar condition, exist in museums and collections.
    The bright green of the strap is not of too much concern, as some materials used for these rushed-into-production items varied tremendously, as did (to a lesser degree) construction methods.

Its source would also be of great help in determining likelihood of originality, though I understand any reluctance to reveal the seller.

Again I stress, this may be a great original example, so do not write it off so quickly, but high quality, detailed images are vital before any call can be made.

All the best,
    Bob
    Last edited by Kohima; 02-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast