Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 Canadian 2nd Div Machine Gun Brodie Helmet

Article about: I knew I had seen this helmet listed before but it looks to have been altered from the original condition. Either the liner has been switched out for a better one or the felt pad has been ad

?

Default ww1 Canadian 2nd Div Machine Gun Brodie Helmet

I knew I had seen this helmet listed before but it looks to have been altered from the original condition. Either the liner has been switched out for a better one or the felt pad has been added or both. Buyer beware.

Here's the current ebay listing,

ww1 Canadian 2nd Div Machine Gun Brodie Helmetww1 Canadian 2nd Div Machine Gun Brodie Helmet

And the same helmet listed by a very reputable dealer and sold several months ago,

ww1 Canadian 2nd Div Machine Gun Brodie Helmetww1 Canadian 2nd Div Machine Gun Brodie Helmet

?

You sure its the same helmet the first one looks like it has a dent on top that the second doesn't have . but I am looking at them on my phone . Gary

?

Hi Gary. Absolutely the same helmet. There is a pronounced dent in the 2nd example as well. Difficult to see it from the angle of the photo and the lighting is quite different.

?

I compared the arrow on the the front of the two helmets - It is the same helmet - thin spots in the paint match up.

I with Gary on this one. Seems like Example 2, has more textured paint finish especially on the right hand side of the painted rectangular badge. First helmet seems to have a smoother paint finish. Or is it the light?

Same helmet... the three abrasions on the top slope of the arrow match up - although harder to see on second example. there are other similarities too.

?

ebay listed helmet

same helmet sold by dealer months ago

Note the circular water mark just above and to the right of the painted insignia.

I think we've beaten a dead horse here. Same helmet with recent alterations to the liner and put up for sale on ebay. I suppose all original despite the alteration. Good looking lid but I still have a problem with tampering with original historical pieces. Even a thorough cleaning of old original pieces may cross the line with some collectors. cheers.

?

funny I know that helmet too and I was by the sellers shop saturday afternoon, I spoke to Dave about the helmet and thats how he got it, so in between I guess the felt has been added, its not been stuck in, if anything I could have lifted it out with ease, there is no appearance of anyone fiddling with the liner bolt or chinstrap bales, as I had it in hand. He has other ww1 examples there, all with liners in different states, so its not like he's into "tarting them up" by the looks of it.