Not something you see every day; a WW1 Rifle Valise Case, for the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield. Made by WM Peters & Son, 1914 dated, broad arrow mark above buckle.
These cases without any carrying strap apparently were used for transportation of SMLE rifles on vehicles and the idea was to cushion or prevent damage.
Most you see are dated 1914, though some were still being made in 1918.
These two which I picked up rather cheaply at an auction in NZ, had ended up in use by the NZ Forest Service, who had a team of Deer cullers suppressing feral Deer in newly planted forests in the 1920's and 1930's. I spotted one of these for sale by a dealer in Europe for nearly ten times what I paid.

The second of the two has lost it's buckle and strap, and the marks are almost gone, though the broad arrow stamp is just visible, (see yellow pin)
These cases are actually quite rare, some have had carrying straps added post WW1.

WW1 Canvas SMLE Valise Rifle case, 1914WW1 Canvas SMLE Valise Rifle case, 1914WW1 Canvas SMLE Valise Rifle case, 1914WW1 Canvas SMLE Valise Rifle case, 1914WW1 Canvas SMLE Valise Rifle case, 1914